AutoBike SmartShift 2000 Rear Derailleur Very Cool!

IGOTTASEROTTA

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The information below is straight off of the DISRAELI GEARS UK Website. The Derailleur is NOS but shows signs of storage wear and tare. If you take a good look are the jockey wheels you'll see that they have never been used. I might have the black rubber piece that goes over the drop out hanger but it's only used for packaging and would be removed when installed so not a part need to use the derailleur. Here is the link to the DISRAELI GEARS UK page where I received the info below;
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Aut ... lleur.html

As for a price? I can't find any to offer so I know it's against the rules not to have a price but how do you price something not knowing it's true value so I'll throw a price out there and you can call me crazy or you can say, "that's not enough, ask for more!"

$175.00 obo

Free shipping to the UK

Let me try and explain how the wondrous AutoBike Smartshift 2000 actually works.

The large round (solid steel) object protruding towards the viewer from the rear knuckle is a weight that is split into two halves. This weight spins on a spindle that runs through the knuckle and has a small v-belt pulley on the other end of it. This pulley is very near the spokes of the rear wheel. A plastic plate is fitted behind the freewheel, much like a conventional spoke protector. This plate, however, has a v-belt groove around its outer edge, and the v-belt runs from this groove over the small pulley on the derailleur.

As the rear wheel turns, the weight is spun at a ferocious speed. As the weight spins, the two halves move apart (due to the mythical ‘centrifugal force’) and - much like the governor on a Victorian steam engine - they operate the two steel arms running on either side of the rear knuckle. These arms, working against the parallelogram spring, drive the derailleur towards higher gears.

The faster the rear wheel turns, the more the derailleur moves to a higher gear. When the rear wheel stops the derailleur always moves to the low gear position. All this without any direct intervention by the Big-Mac-chompin’-commie-stompin’-bible-quotin’-handgun-totin’ all-American rider. Good ol’ Sarah Palin may not have a whole helluva grasp of Charles Darwin’s The Origin of Species, but she could surely get the hang of a SmartShift 2000, yesiree.

The Allen bolt that is mounted on the top of the front knuckle controls the parallelogram spring tension. As you increase the tension you increase the speed required to move the derailleur - so it effectively tends to change up into any particular gear at a higher wheel speed. Think of it like the ‘sports’ setting on the auto-box of your Trans Am - good for when David Hasselhof wants to pull the beach babes - but best ignored when in motorised-sofa-cruising-on-the-Pacific-Coast-Highway mode.

The AutoBike Smartshift 2000 does appear to have some kind of provision for the derailleur to operate, or be operated by, a cable, but I have never seen this in action. It could be a way that you could limit the gear range (like in an automatic car) or it could be a way that the derailleur could operate a gear indicator, perhaps on the handlebars. Continuing the Darwinian theme, I prefer to think of this feature as an evolutionary relic much like the appendix in the human digestive system.

But seriously, the strangest thing about this design is that it is not indexed in any way. When you are travelling at a speed that would naturally cause the derailleur to be between two gears - then the derailleur happily positions itself between the two gears. The one person who I have spoken to who has ridden this system extensively seemed unbothered by this - apparently you soon learn to tune your speed to suit. Somehow I can’t imagine this being easy when descending or climbing steep hills - exactly the time when I, as a not overly thin, not overly fit, person, seem to most need my gears to function accurately. Perhaps they don’t have steep hills in Muskogee (a place where even squares can have a ball).

Unlike the later LandRider Auto Shift in this collection, this example of the SmartShift 2000 is a version with a short pulley cage. Frank Berto shows a drawing of this model labeled ‘Falcon AD-30’ - and this example is certainly manufactured by Falcon and has ‘Falcon’ branded pulley wheels.

Next stop - bikes with cup holders, cruise control, bull bars and gun racks. Parking radar, anybody?

•Brand: AutoBike, manufactured by Falcon
•Date of introduction: 1999
•Date of this example: unknown
•Model no: unknown
•Weight: 566g including hanger plate, but excluding drive belt and drive disc
•Maximum cog: 28 teeth?
•Total capacity: 28 teeth?
•Pulley centre to centre: 56mm
•Index compatibility: friction
•Chain width: 3/32”
•Logic: low normal
•Pivots: two sprung pivots
•Material: largely steel, with an aluminium rear knuckle

Attachments

• AutoBike Smartshift 2000 4.jpg
    AutoBike Smartshift 2000 4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,496
  • AutoBike Smartshift 2000 8.jpg
    AutoBike Smartshift 2000 8.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,495
  • AutoBike Smartshift 2000 7.jpg
    AutoBike Smartshift 2000 7.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,495
  • AutoBike Smartshift 2000 6.jpg
    AutoBike Smartshift 2000 6.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,495
  • AutoBike Smartshift 2000 3.jpg
    AutoBike Smartshift 2000 3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,495
  • AutoBike Smartshift 2000 4.jpg
    AutoBike Smartshift 2000 4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,496
  • AutoBike Smartshift 2000 3.jpg
    AutoBike Smartshift 2000 3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,496
do the research yourself(since you have the means)

i'd give you a tenner

why disreali gears doesn't want it ?

OverLoad":2k47h160 said:
do the research yourself(since you have the means)

i'd give you a tenner

why disreali gears doesn't want it ?

I did, I couldn't find a eBay listing or any other sales site that had one for sale. I can't find what they originally sold for anywhere so I'm assuming they must be worth more than what they sold for back in 1999 and being that it is NOS that should account for asking more than they were worth back then. I also can't see that they made too many of these so I figure that into the price as well. But like I said, "call me crazy." LOL

I have just been searching for 4 plus hours looking for another AutoBike SmartShift 2000 on the net. There isn't one anywhere or any site that has a 1999 price. I only found 2 complete AutoBikes but I don't know how long ago they were posted. I guess I was right, this is a super rare component and with it being NOS that just makes it more valuable.

Interesting bit of kit! Are all the parts present to use it as intended? If you haven't it will seriously devalue it as without the other parts, which I guess are equally as rare, it is unusable. It's a difficult one as it is clearly a low quality item but if there are only a few in the world then is it worth a lot, I wouldn't like to say....

What I have found is that just because an item is rare it does not automatically make it worth lots of money.

Personally I would stick it on eBay but in honesty I would not expect to receive much money for it, although I could be wrong!

On another note you do know that centrifugal force is not mythical?

As a collector of derailleur gears I am interested in this. I usually limit my collecting to pre index and pre ergo derailleurs but am attracted by oddities after this time. However the price is far too high. Its a low end novelty item that I would not pay more than £17:50 for, plus postage. Aside from collectors this item is only useful to someone with a complete bike that needs the part. Cant be many of those folk around. Hope this info helps. Good luck with the sale.

I am not taking sides here but if it is unusual, usually comes on cheap bikes, there must be loads about. I have never seen one or anything close and i do look on ebay etc regularly. The seller has spent some time writing the ad and i don't think it is fair to abuse him/her as they have provided the info that has sparked the interest.

It may not be worth as much as the asking price, but it is interesting and could be worth some money. Bearing in mind that used stuff which you can buy every day can be £20+ for 600 stuff for example so £17 seems cheap for something unusual.

So GLWS!!!!

Richard

Back