Attempted garage break in - what to do to secure bikes now..

That D lock looks OK :D

The good think about it is the 16mm shackle - if it is made from good stuff it should resist the best of the hand held bolt croppers.

The bad thing about D locks is they are similar to fannys - if you can't fill all the hole your wasting your time and it's for your bennifit only ...

D locks for taking with you, padlock and chain for static / home use.

The cable is ok for adding additional protection for the front wheel or small value items - don't secure a bike with it unles it's a kids bike / BSO etc.

WD :D

My aim is to have everything locked in the garage. Currently achieved but the more the merrier. So chains could be the way to go at home then? I'd have 5 bought they were easier to cut than d locks but clearly I'm no expert.

What sort of chains should I be aiming for, balancing cost vs security?

I need to reorganise the garage so I can create some anchor points, unless there are some that I can recess or fold down when not in use/move things around at a later date. Any recommendations? I had already seen the uber expensive ones mentioned earlier which are obviously great but pricey and permanent.

WD Pro":39jk5xwy said:
D locks for taking with you, padlock and chain for static / home use.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any reason that a chain would be stronger than a d-lock made of similar thickness and same material (provided that the shackle is filled with stuff - like wheels, bike tubing etc :D) People use chains because they are easier to lock through wheels and around awkward objects. The closest thing to a chain in its flexibility of locking options is a cable, which is utterly useless in terms of security offered.

Additionally, most chains are actually locked with a small version of a d-lock anyway. Kryptonite chains for example use a tiny d-lock to attach two loops of chain together.

If anything, would a chain not be easier to cut since it's unlikely that all the space of the chain will be filled with something. This means it can be put against the ground, and cut with bolt cutters.

So, wouldn't it be best to get a d-lock for each bike first (to lock to a bike rack maybe), rather than spend tons on a big heavy chain?

Have a look at the first post I added to this thread with the web link - pretty much everything is answered on there :D

@Ishaw - the ground anchor (the bit you leave if you move home) is actually reasonably priced in comparison to the chains and locks ...

I surpose it all comes down to how much you value your kit.

Security is a funny old thing, you never know what's to much (and simply caused the theif to walk away / not even bother), you will know what he was 'thought' he could have a go at, you will sure as hell know what wasn't enough ... :-(

WD :D

Back