Attempted garage break in - what to do to secure bikes now..

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
... after an attempted break in to my garage in the early hours of this morning, I am concerned that there may be a return visit at some point in the future.

I'm looking for advice on a number of things that will:

a) prevent anyone getting in as much as possible
b) prevent anyone taking much if they do get in
c) insuring everything at a fair value, in case a) and b) fail

So, what are your thoughts on security from a garage/building entry perspective as well as securing things within the garage.

Any advise on insurance? I recall when trying to get the number of bikes I had on the house insurance, it was not possible to do so, and I want to protect my investments. How troublesome is it that the majority of my bikes are retro, and as they have been built up by me, don't come with receipts and as a result, difficult to value?

I'd welcome any thoughts, advice, tips and experience you all have on this. It has made me seriously consider parting with a number of bikes to avoid the thought of uninsured loss, but I don't want to have to do that if I can find another way to get peace of mind that should the worst happen, I will at least be able to replace what I have.

Re:

In my bike store which holds 14 bikes ...

Lock everything to a big ground anchor which is concreted into the floor.
Make sure that to remove one bike two different cables / chains would have to be cut.
Have two PIR alarms one of which dials my mobile if activated > http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatal ... Alarm.html
The main alarm has a repeat sounder in a different building.
8mm steel bars at an angle to prevent access using chain saws through the walls.
12mm chains
10mm cables
Kryptonite New York locks
30mm steel door bars with high security padlocks
Outside covered by PIR lights and dummy CCTV cameras > http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatal ... amera.html
'CCTV in use' stickers at all entrances.

Expensive initial cost but worth the peace of mind. I know a determined thief could break in and steal stuff but they would make a lot of noise doing it and need to be tooled up.

Dont know what door you have, but mine is a roller style that I have internally fitted a short hardened chain and padlock(Door to floor). The door only goes up a few inches then the chain prevents it. So as its hidden, no one will know they need some cutting equipment. One more obstacle for the fukpigs to scratch their heads over I thought. Luckily it is also alarmed as on side of the house. So I can jump out of bed and destroy said phelan with baseball bat of oblivion!
I have taken loads of pics, serial numbers etc and insurance listed any bike worth over a grand. Hastings direct I went with.

I have also thought about putting bike racks in the garage and locking them to it. Over the top I know but I'd rather not loose stuff.

REKIBorter":2vi1qaob said:
Dont know what door you have, but mine is a roller style that I have internally fitted a short hardened chain and padlock(Door to floor).

Ah, I was thinking of adding additional security to mine, so might give that a go. Any recommendations on anchor/chain?

Mine is plumbed into the house alarm with dual movement and PIR sensors inside covering the length of the garage. As a reminder to the scumbags, there is an alarm box on the side of the garage.

Re:

After the losses of the weekend - see "Scrotes Visited..." thread, thinking about many of the above mentioned and other options besides, sounds daft but I don't want to propose them on a public forum right now, happy to PM them over.

Other question, can you still get boiling tar release systems? Seemed to work quite well during the middle ages, but with a techno upgrade with PIR triggers etc, could be just the thing. :twisted:

kingoffootball":3ov4e84h said:
REKIBorter":3ov4e84h said:
Dont know what door you have, but mine is a roller style that I have internally fitted a short hardened chain and padlock(Door to floor).

Ah, I was thinking of adding additional security to mine, so might give that a go. Any recommendations on anchor/chain?

I just bought it from Screwfix. Hardened chain in various diameters. Think I went for 8mm. Cut it to length then in two with angle grinder, bolt half to door bottom and other half to the floor around the corner with a Rawl bolt and some washers. Nice padlock, job done.
Very neat and totally invisible to outside world. Not committed burglar proof I know. But would stop the random drug crazed mofo's

having been "done" in the past I am pretty cautious these days - like Ted dont want to stick stuff here, not that it would make much difference I suspect

I look to minimise standing out (so no massive locks / bollards on garage door) maximise hassle (so 2 or 3 different locks to attack at any one point) and have a sacrifice I am willing to make (ie my oldest bike is at the door with a limp lock on it while the rest are well secured in the back of the garage) - the 130db house alarm siren *inside* the garage is a courtesy detail :LOL:

the local police can be helpful with a few pointers

Once they know what's in there, it's very tough indeed.

an alarm is good, there's nothing a scrote likes less than having attention drawn to them

Back