Are M975 XTR brakes really this crap?

cyfa2809":2s4urkva said:
Mindmap3":2s4urkva said:
They should be a big step up from V's...a lot of people are running the trail version on DH bikes.

Isnt that m980?

985 for the race and 988 for the trail...minimal differences between them. Race uses a smaller diameter lever and no tool free adjust. These are super powerful, I think the previous generations, which I've just twiged that the brakes in question are can be a bit squiffy, like the XT's your mate is ditching. I think they can be a pain to bleed and set up compared to previous Shimano brakes, which is where the issue may be coming from.

Even if the previous generation brakes aren't as powerful as the new ones, they should still be better than rim brakes. Even C2's managed that and they're pants compared to modern discs.

It sucks that they suck... I've got an SLX set of the same vintage and they are weak. I also have a set of the 2012 xt's and they are crazy powerful, 1 finger is more than enough.

eshew":kt5365wg said:
It sucks that they suck... I've got an SLX set of the same vintage and they are weak. I also have a set of the 2012 xt's and they are crazy powerful, 1 finger is more than enough.

I have a friend who says exactly the same about both!

Thanks for the input chaps. I think I have done everything such as alignment etc etc

not overly useful, but I say bin'em and get M985's, I have heard of a few people complain about the lack of power etc on the m975's.

The M985/8 will chuck you over the bars with one finger if your not careful, and also modulate nicely.

I really liked the 975's I had. They were on par power wise with some Elixir 5's I had shortly after. Different feel to the bite point, but still strong.

Back