Apparently Miyata sold MTBs in Japan under "Ridge Runner" brand in the early 90s?

DrmZ

Breezer Fan
Recently I got some japanese Bike magazines / special issues giving an overview on parts and bikes in the early to mid 90s.
You can find some pictures and scans in this album:

One thing that catched my eye is mountainbikes sold under the brand "Ridge Runner".
I was only familiar with the Ridge Runner models by Miyata and koga-miyata.
But it seems Miyata also used Ridge Runner as a brand for MTBs in Japan in the 90s. Like Toyota / Lexus...

Here is an ad from Cycle Sports magazine 11/1994 (MTB Touring special issue)

Notice there is the Miyata logo present on bottom right corner.
But all bikes have a bige "Ridge Runner" decal on the down tube instead of Miyata.

Here are two double pages from ATB Hand Book '91 (published by Futabasha).
Its a paperback that lists all mountainbikes that were available on the japanese market in 1991.
Miyata or Koga-Miyata is not included but there are 12 bikes branded as Ridge runner.

This magazine is a paperback that reads like a traditional japanese book. (from right to left - or from back to front in our western view)
All brands are sorted in alphabetical order from alpinestars to yosemite.
So on the first double page the two bikes on top right (page 66) still belong to Reflex and Ridge Runner starts with the bike below.
It seems to be a japanese version of the 91 SkyRunner Carbolite with complete Suntour XC Pro for 250.000 Yen
Then it goes downwards to the cheaper bikes on page 68/69.

I would be interested if someone got more information on the Ridge Runner brand in Japan?
Was it an attempt by Miyata to seperate their MTBs from their road bikes?

Last edited:
I have had the yellow one with purple fork. Size 42cm. I bought it in an area where many Japanese live. I can't answer your question on the marketing.

I would have bought it if I knew it was available. It is my size.

I live in Japan. It was common for the Japanese brands to re-name their MTB models. Panasonic did Mountain Cat, Araya did Muddy Fox, etc.

PP68 says: "Ridge Runner developed a lineup that adheres to the characteristics of the frame materials. Carbon Fiber has 7 times the vibration absorption and 1.6 times the strength of cro-moly. Aluminum that surpasses steel and an improved chromoly steel tube by adding a spiral reinfocing rib inside the tube to increase strength and lower weight. These are set up for racing, all-round, and funland riding."

Back