Anyone know much about Avanti Bikes?

squattingmouse

Retro Newbie
So before I go any further the background in this one is a bit odd. I was walking the dog and spotted this one in the hedge. As it looked quite shiny I dragged it out, took it home and reported it found to the police. I've posted it on several Buy and Sell Facebook pages as found and on a stolen bikes page for my area too. So also if you know anyone who has lost a bike like this please get in touch as I have the serial number and some other sidyinguishing features not visible in the photo.

In trying to ID it thought I ran into some problems - Avanti don't seem to have their older catalogue on their website and I think this is late 90's/Early 2000. The cranks are, I think, a replacment part but some of the other parts are older - I think that's a 1 inch headset in there with and extension for a 1 and 1/8 stem in the top. Anyone got any ideas on age? If no one comes forward in a month or so I think I may adpot it but know next to nothing about road bikes including how to work out its size (no marking as far as I can tell) - do I measure top-to-top on the seat tube of just top to effective top tube?

Attachments

• avanti.jpg
    avanti.jpg
    976.9 KB · Views: 47
Why not contact the company even if they are in New Zealand🤔

I've contacted them and so far nothing. Checking the law after making a reasonable attempt to find the owners it seems to be mine so it may become a winter project.

Alas you probably won't get much response from Avanti themselves, they're famous locally for their customer support. Not. It's a brand started by the NZ importers of Shimano.

The Giro was a mid range model sold in the mid-2000s. Frame would be generic Taiwanese alloy, components usually Shimano Tiagra or 105 level. There may have been an Ultegra version but I'm not completely sure about that.

Not a bad bike at all, but hardly a classic. They fetch nz$200 to nz$600 (£100 to £150) round these parts.

bm

Thanks for that badgermat. It is alloy - 7005 according to the sticker. Tiagra throughout (even flightdeck compatible and I wil admit as a mountain biker I had to look up what that is). 1 inch steer but a 1 1/8 stem with a shim (that looks like its been home made so I'll buy a proper one or try and find a 1 inch ahead stem) so a bit wierd in places. As no one has come forward I am adopting it and probably going to end up stripping it. The only oddity is the hubs match but the rims don't - rear is eyeletted with a wear groove, front isn't.

Back