Anyone have a Saracen Recoil circa 1997/1998?

chilvence

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone. I found this forum because I have been looking high and low for one of these bikes, and this site is the only place on the internet that I have even been able to find a picture of one:

file.php

(That was posted by a forum user viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40984&start=740 , but he hasn't made any posts for 5 years since. However, I am grateful even for that because they so bloody hard to find.)

I have been looking for one of these on and off for a long time, for a quite specific reason. See my brother used to have one a long time ago, and it was his prized possession at the the time, but being a generous sort of person he lent it out a bit too freely, until one day it mysteriously 'vanished' while in the care of somebody he thought he could trust. There was a lot of drama, and he was very angry, but at the end of it bugger all could be done about it, them's the breaks. But the knock on effect of it was that he hasn't ridden a bike since.

Heres a vid of him on the bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoIXP7E ... e=youtu.be

I think that was made before youtube was even a thing...

Doesn't he look happy? Awww. Well, since then all he has done is sit at that desk in that room at the beginning of the vid, and stare at that screen. Well, the screen may have changed for a flatter, wider model, and the desk is now a swanky glass surface, in fact the whole house has been redecorated since then and the horrible green carpet is no more, but he still can't get over the fact that some dickhead stole his bike. I tried offering him various bikes several times, but he always turned them down, cos they weren't the same. I think we all know what it is like when you find the bike that is right for you, well he took it pretty personally when he lost it. He traded the life of downhill biking in for a Suzuki bandit, but I know there is a cyclist still alive in there somewhere.

So I am here to try and enlist the help of Retrobike forum goers to see if you can help me find one for sale somewhere, because I would like very much one day to make one magically appear in that hallway there, as a last ditch attempt to snap him out of this sulking trance so he can get back into MTB riding again. If you see one in the paper, or on ebay, or even rotting in a second hand shop somewhere, please think of me, and drop me a message :)

I'd want £400 as I'll need to replace it , probably for a road bike, as I have been using it to get to work.

I live in North Norfolk.

Do you want to forward your email address, I'll send you photos.

Back