Anyone do L'Eroica?

I attended this years L'Eroica UK and it was actually pretty good. There was a healthy supply of posers and artisan types, i think all festivals have them, but more than enough genuine bike goodness to make it worthwhile. Highlights include; The Monsal Trail, Bakewell, a very good bike jumble, decent trade stands (Reynolds, Mercian, etc), free Yorkshire Gold and Buxton water, good food stalls and nice music. The topography of the area makes the ride more difficult than you think, it's worth thinking about your gear range!

Re:

I feel as though a lot of the cycling festivals held throughout the UK, are better suited to our interests? I see a lot of "factory" type OEM period rebuilds, which haven't been particularly well researched (unlike most RB members' builds) at L'eroica style events.
Most quality bikes BITD (90 percent plus) were always sold as framesets leaving the options for the buyer open according to personal preference/budget/what they already had too! I've done a few of these and it's mainly "poser" types who can't keep a sensible tempo up, bit of an "all the gear- no idea" mentality. :facepalm:

We ought to do our own retro road big ride eh? Retro ctc anyone? That WOULD get some really good press!

Re:

I did Eroica Britannia this year and have booked up for 2016 - its a hoot! There's a lot more to it than bikes too. Its a celebration of eccentric Britishness and nostalgia. There are plenty of concours quality bikes matched equally by ratty examples. It's always going to attract hipsters with things like "best moustache" competitions but they were friendly northern hipsters rather than the Metropolital bike courier types. I spoke with an Italian gent who had ridden the original a few times and he thought that the UK one was much better. OK, its not the Strada Bianchi but the scenery around the peaks is lovely and the food stops were fantastic with halves of bitter and Ice cream. There is a great camaraderie built out of adversity. I'm definitely rocking lower gears next year

Re:

I will be there and have just signed up for the 100 miler so I'm thinking the Mercian Superlight but we'll see nearer the time.

Re:

I find the name of these events misleading
I at first thought it was in Olympia or Earls Court and Some of my favourite, shall we say, movie starlets, would be present with not much on.

I'd be more inclined to go if it were a mixture of the two!

Re:

I had intended to take part this year but it clashes with the Anjou...the Loire has better weather and it's no more costly to go there/be there.

Jon.

Back