Any Reason Why I Can't....

Gear housing is now 4mm diameter and brake housing 5mm ( in France at least)

Was it different in the past ? has the gear housing been larger ? ie 5mm

as on old bikes I have got where I did not change the housings, seems to be identical diameter ? and I did not check the inside :cry:
but no accident yet ;)
is it because my boys are daredevils and do not brake much ;) or because France is so flat :idea:

fingers":7kpqmpgf said:
Whysit dangerous then?

if you were using gear housing for brakes and it split as in the picture above then your brake would instantly fail.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! :LOL:

This takes me back!

BITD my mate bought a crazy brake booster from Halford to allow non V brake levers to operate V brakes by increasing the brake levers cable pull.

It was a kind of large Cog Hog with a large wheel and a smaller wheel attached side-by-side. The inner cable entered and wrapped around the smaller wheel and then around the bigger wheel... The principle was that pulling of the lever moved the small wheel and the larger one but rotating the larger one at the same rotation of the smaller one actually moved more cable.

We set it all up but I only had outer gear cable to hand. First pull on the brake lever - Kerpow!

The outer gear cable split wide open.

I laughed until I s#at! ha ha ha ha :LOL:

Lesson learned!

:? I read with much interest, recently started a thread on the same topic. CRC had sent me 4m of outer cable, I had asked for 2m of brake and 2m of gear. I exposed the wire sheath and it was a rope effect wire. I thought this was gear cable and mailed them back and asked why they had sent me this, they promptly sent me another 2m of the same outer. From this I assumed that it was a dual purpose cable as a brake cable fits in it and it works(in the workshop) well with no drag.

Soooo whadya think of that then :eek:

ps its the goodridge stuff if its of any interest

kaiser":aqfca5l8 said:
:? I read with much interest, recently started a thread on the same topic. CRC had sent me 4m of outer cable, I had asked for 2m of brake and 2m of gear. I exposed the wire sheath and it was a rope effect wire. I thought this was gear cable and mailed them back and asked why they had sent me this, they promptly sent me another 2m of the same outer. From this I assumed that it was a dual purpose cable as a brake cable fits in it and it works(in the workshop) well with no drag.

Soooo whadya think of that then :eek:

ps its the goodridge stuff if its of any interest

If it looks like shifter hosing, and smells like shifter housing, then it's shifter housing. For brakes I wouldn't use it on anything I'd actually ride. :D

Back