Any Mazda RX8 owners?

....came close to buying one myself a couple of years back. Test drove one in red, with an all black leather interior (not the cheap looking 2-tone one). Took it for a blast up the A34, so easy to rev it until the warning buzzer kicks in. Very stable and very smooth. When I asked my wife 'how fast do you think we are going' she answered '90'. I said 'add another 30 to that!'

In the end I agreed to buy it, then woke up the next morning in a panic - realised that if I was worried about how much it was going to run then it was not the best thing to do.

Mate of mine had one and said he averaged 21mpg overall. Lovely car for the money - but you need deep pockets to run them if you are doing average mileage....

That is part of the reasoning as my daily commute is an 8 mile round trip :D so fuel economy is not much of an issue as the short commute off sets any longer journeys.
I know, i know i should buy another bike not a car :LOL:

indeed, it'll use mure fuel in the warmup than once its got up and going...
As to feul, got to do a bunch of long trips on my mates GTR, was using 50-55l every 300km (dunno what that in mpg) and that was driving very gently, hammer it and those figures went silly

- og thats about 17mpg it seems so not so bad, my mums bmw was getting 7l/100km on the same trip.

edit again, oh 17mpg is shit right, the bmw was getting 40mpg.

They are an absolute bargain. A victim of taxation as much as anything, £475 tax will put anyone off. The governments tactic has worked - no-one wants to buy a used car that costs a lot to tax and fuel. People will always buy them new - when spending £30k, what difference does £400 tax make.

Shouldn't be compared to "normal cars". My 350z cracks 27mpg, a 911 does about 25mpg, E46 M3 does about 24mpg. Which are all pretty good for the power, but enegines like these have developed massively in the last 5 years.

So no too bad in that company, especially when you take into account the purchase price. However the added embarrasment when it wont start on the petrol station forecourt should be taken into account.....

The best thing about the RX8 is that no matter how hard you drive it, it always seems to return the same MPG!!

I don't think we will ever see cars like the RX8 again on these shores, concepts like the GT86 - lightweight and stripped back - will (have) replaced.

Grannygrinder":3mlennez said:
That is part of the reasoning as my daily commute is an 8 mile round trip :D so fuel economy is not much of an issue as the short commute off sets any longer journeys.
I know, i know i should buy another bike not a car :LOL:

This is not the car for you. My mate had the same commute in an RX8. They use A LOT of fuel while warming up (first 15 mins?), this consumption is offset by relative economy for the rest fo the journey. Sounds like you will never be out of the warm up stage like my mate was.

Back