Any knowledgeable RALEIGH DYNA-TECH guys in here??

TOMAS

Senior Retro Guru
So I picked up this frameset from a guy on another forum and have now built it up from parts I have gained from another build I bought. Thing is, other than it saying Raleigh Dyna-Tech Titanium I cannot decipher which model it may be!?

I've looked through the old archives and no listing, the paint job features on a Dyna-Tech road bike they did but cannot find any MTB's of the same. Been speaking to a Dyna-Tech collector and he thinks it's a 1992 MT4 frameset but suggested I post on here to see if anyone else has any info - any Raleigh SPD guys on-board??

I live in Nottingham and only just down the road from the old factory so my choice for this latest build has a good connection to me haha! Excuse the 'patina', not really sure how to tackle the paint flaking off the 'furring' alloy junctions of the frame - any tips? I did think of removing the paint off the junctions and polishing up but guess think will be a labour intensive idea, maybe best forgotten!

Any info much appreciated :)

Attachments

• 20180430_135033_resized.jpg
    20180430_135033_resized.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 582
  • 20180430_134942_resized.jpg
    20180430_134942_resized.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 582
  • 20180430_135005_resized.jpg
    20180430_135005_resized.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 581
  • 20180430_135111_resized.jpg
    20180430_135111_resized.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 578
  • 20180430_135123_resized.jpg
    20180430_135123_resized.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 579
Re:

Ogre is blue and has different pattern on main tubes, mine is purple (excuse the light I took pics in) also mine has curved blade forks, Ogre has straight blades, as I say they do a road bike in the same colour scheme... was it usual for Raleigh just to do random paint jobs on MTB's not advertised?

given where you got it from, it could be a "back door special" originally owned by a Raleigh staffer....

Re:

I'm sure I've seen a Diablo in that colour scheme before, It's definitely not a 92 though. The 92 Ogre was a similar colour right enough but lighter colour and pattern on the three main tubes, see mine below.
I'd guess its around 93/94 but can't be sure.

Attachments

• 92 Ogre.jpg
    92 Ogre.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 532
Re:

The 625Ti road bike in the 93 catalogue has the exact same paint job as yours. The cable stops certainly look the same as the 93 Ogre bikes and the fact there are no mudguard/rack eyelets on the dropouts would suggest it is an MT4 rather than MT3 frame. Raleigh would occasionally bring out bikes mid-year with updated paint and spec's so it may be one of those from 93. I've not seen a 94 special products catalogue to see if it's in there though.

Re: Re:

TOMAS":er5u4szf said:
Ogre is blue and has different pattern on main tubes, mine is purple (excuse the light I took pics in) also mine has curved blade forks, Ogre has straight blades, as I say they do a road bike in the same colour scheme... was it usual for Raleigh just to do random paint jobs on MTB's not advertised?

For warranty replacements Raleigh seemed sometimes to let the customer choose the paint job. Perhaps this is a warranty replacement Diablo, with a road bike paintjob done.

The seat stay / seat tube join (bolted/rivetted) definitely places it before 1994.

Have you tried sticking a fridge magnet to different parts of the frame? The top and down tubes would have been Ti on all these Dynatechs, but some had a Ti seat tube, and the MT4 / Ogre also had Ti chainstays and rear dropouts. In fact, just looking at the rear dropout can tell you whether it's an Ogre/MT4 or a Diablo, because the Ti dropouts of the MT4/Ogre were quite a bit thicker than the cromo ones on the Diablo (and didn't have rack eyelets as mentioned above).

Personally, I wouldn't take the paint off the lugs because being steel, they'll rust.

Re:

Having ran a magnet over the entire frame, what I can tell you is the only ferrous metals are;-

Chainstays
Seatstays
Rear dropouts
Forks with their dropouts
Seatstay/Seattube/Toptube lug

I'm assuming both the headtube and bottom bracket junction are bulge formed alloy, the BB being steel sleeved along with the seat clamp area of seat tube steel sleeved.

Re:

Cheers boss! Looking over them on google they do look just like mine, only difference being the cable stops are down the side of top tube on mine. Now knowing that the BB shell is alloy, and that is where worst of the paint flaking is, i'm half tempted to mask off all surrounding area and clean off the BB paint and polish up to shiny shiny alloy. ONLY on that area though :)

Latest posts

Back