Any BMW E46 experts in the house?

As ever Euro car parts are good value... I've had discs off them for an E46 and they did the job a treat.

Re:

Disc corrosion is another possibility. If the car sits for a while, especially outside in the rain or if left stationary after washing, a patch of light corrosion can develop on the disc adjacent to the pads due to trapped water - more corrosion than the remaining disc area. When the car is driven you could then feel a minor vibration until braking action cleans up the disc again. I've seen many BMWs where this localized corrosion was bad enough to induce permanent vibration.

If the vibration only occurs very briefly apon first application of the pedal (a brief twitch in the steering wheel feeling much like a vibration) then this could be imperfect wishbone joints - even if MOT passable - or worn lower steering spindle.

Warped discs (usually caused by overheating - sporty drivers or badly worn discs) can also cause this but likely to be permanent vibration.

Another cause of temporary vibration can be 'glazed' discs from overheating (sporty driving again) which then gradually normalize again when the car is driven sympathetically, but this is less likely.

When it comes to brake pads and discs always buy original BMW - just my opinion. Non original might work and seem ok but they often require increased pedal pressure due to lower frictional properties and likely have longer stopping distances especially at high temperatures. OEM pads sold in the aftermarket are not necessarily the same compound as what is supplied to BMW. Fakes in very convincing 'BMW' packaging exist and are very difficult to spot. Independant parts shops sourcing 'genuine' BMW pads through independant parts wholesalers sometimes sell fake unknowingly. Buy from a BMW Dealer and drive your wife and kids around in total confidence.

Great...many thanks for everybodys help. I may have sold this one now...I'll either buy another in better shape (there were a few other issues) or something sensible (probably not)

Back