Another Kelly KAS Vitus Build - Carbone

Hi there Finney
Actually you can blame Stringfellow from the forum he gave me the tips to strip it! I used wet and dry ( wet) and rubbed gently, I used 600 grade and then 1200 if required. I rubbed down the seat cluster with both grades and it's autosoled up brilliantly but the other lugs and ends didn't need sanding just polishing. I'm building using the other components on the blue 979bapart from the seatpin, headset, and BB so I won't really have 2 bikes. I've just fitted a mint Stronglight A9 roller bearing headset that looks great, and I've also got a NOS Mavic converter to change my band on front mech to a braze on , I can't stretch to a Mavic headset just yet, but as mentioned above I've got another Mavic cartridge BB. I'm undecided if I will get it clear lacquered or just leave as is. I used to race an Alan Carbon 9 that wasn't lacquered and it was ok. About your TVT, very jealous I love those frames, be careful as the finish was ace on those, maybe you could strip it and get it professionally repainted? Sorry for the long reply :) PM if you like
Cheers Darren

Just put the Vitus decals on, really pleased with them, brings the frame to life a bit, I'll do the KAS & Mavic ones later, still undecided if I should get it lacquered on the carbon bits to protect it but the finish has a lustre to it as it is..?

Attachments

• Vitus decal4.jpg
    Vitus decal4.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,426
  • Vitus carbone 9 Decal1.jpg
    Vitus carbone 9 Decal1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,426
  • Vitus Carbone9 decal2.jpg
    Vitus Carbone9 decal2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,426
Looks great - would lacquering help protect both frame and decals?

Was the '88 Vuelta bike the same as the TDF bike that had 'de gribaldy' on the downtube?

FINNEY1973":d99nmd63 said:
Looks great - would lacquering help protect both frame and decals?

Was the '88 Vuelta bike the same as the TDF bike that had 'de gribaldy' on the downtube?

Hi Really not sure about the de gribaldy badged Vitus's found the attached image, its just like mine with the concealed rear brake routing . The lacquer I know would protect but Im thinking I can leave it as 1) the finish looks really nice in the flesh and 2) lt costs £80 to get it done! we'll see!

Attachments

• 1233227392G6R78UG3SJ_5398_R_Velo_KAS88.jpg
    1233227392G6R78UG3SJ_5398_R_Velo_KAS88.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,419
Not sure about the 'gribaldy' frames either, the '88 TDF bike was the one you posted a pic of I think. Looks identical to yours, useful for confirming decals at least! £80 is a lot for a layer of lacquer I must admit!

FINNEY1973":3bwkjjv2 said:
Not sure about the 'gribaldy' frames either, the '88 TDF bike was the one you posted a pic of I think. Looks identical to yours, useful for confirming decals at least! £80 is a lot for a layer of lacquer I must admit!

Yes I know says he will put a few layers on..but still! Kelly did ride a KAS badged one Vitus Carbone 9 with the top external routed cables at the 1988 Vuelta, loads of decal variations as well the more I look, so Im heading for the same positioning as my blue 979. typical its going to be sub zero and snow round here next week!

cloonaghpat":2wdm03c5 said:
Looks great, where did you source the decals from?

Pat

Hi Pat
www.wanit.co.uk very good quality, and they arrived the next day, the KAS set are from Graham Weigh Cycles, just fully stickered up the frame, pictures later. To Lacquer or not to lacquer that is the question, the frame is now sticker city, but thats how it was done!

ok lots of posts from me today, this should be the last for a while until I build it with the Mavic SSC parts that are currently on my Blue Vitus 979. Really looking forward to riding this as its my size.

Attachments

• Vitus Carbone 9 full stickers.jpg
    Vitus Carbone 9 full stickers.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,388
  • Vitus Carbone 9 full stickers 2.jpg
    Vitus Carbone 9 full stickers 2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,388
  • Vitus Carbone 9 full stickers 3.jpg
    Vitus Carbone 9 full stickers 3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,388
Great Job Doubledee, that looks real good man. I did get my 9 tube carbon vitus lacquered as it protects everything much better. I don't know where or who wants to charge £80 as mine cost me £20 at the local car body shop & that was 2 part lacquer. Most of the buggers have it laying around as they use it on lots of car jobs these days. So if they have a car job to do its only another 5 minutes to do your frame plus they have already charged some one else for the materials. So £20-£25 quid for 5 mins work is a pretty good hourly rate.
I'm just about to start another 9 tube carbon Vitus & plan to do it the same as yours Decal wise the frame & forks with the decals fitted are already to go to the body shop to be lacquered this week. Just stuck for a 500/502 front hub & a clamp on front gear (have a braze on one) the rest of the groupset I have.

Keep up the great work i'm well impressed.

Back