Another identify my bike thread.. this time a GT

Daverro

Dirt Disciple
Ok, so I bought this remotely i.e. little chance to have a look beforehand and now I'm wondering what did i buy? The guy selling it said its a GT Zaskar LE but seeing as its Cromo 4130 that can't be? The Zaskars have always been aluminum right? Anyway, any ideas what it is and from when?

Edit: Also found something that looks like a serial number. Under the bottom bracket 070775 and (9)4. Unsure about the 9. To me it looks a bit weird, usually they are longer and have letters as well.

That's not right. I think it's a Karakoram. It came out after the U-brake but before V - brake. That should put it around 94-96.

Yay, that was a fast answer. Thanks =)

Feeling a bit disappointed about it not being as described but i guess you can't be lucky all the time. Will probably give it a good scrub and service and sell it off again.

There were only a couple of models that had all top tube cable routing, rounded top tube cap and welded on derailleur hanger that were set up for cantilever brakes. It's actually not a common combination. Definitely not a Zaskar. They are all 6061 aluminum and have flat end caps on the top tube.

The seller described it as a GT Zaskar LE. I have contacted him since yesterday and he now explained that back in the early 90s he was a sponsored racer for GT in Denmark. The sponsorship then was supposed to supply the current top of the line bike which was a GT Zaskar LE he says. So according to him this is what he believed it was and had no intention to play any tricks. Either way, i now have a Karakoram or Psyclone on my hands so will see what i do with it... is this a bike worth keeping, i don't know?

All Zaskars are 6061 Ally so definitely not one of them.
They did do a Psyclone in yellow so it could be, especially if as he states he was given the top of the line bike. The Psyclone was their top end steel frameset and if it is one is 100% worth keeping - how much did you pay for it?
I'm no expert so have no idea from looking at yours but the Psyclone was fillet brazed and is IMHO one of the best steel frames you could buy - I had a blue one so am biaised. That said I seem to remember them being made from 853 tubing and some also had a replaceable rear mech hanger so I do have some doubts.

It is a good looking bike, no doubt about that. It sounds a bit off that a top of the line steel frame would be made from 4130 i think but i guess possible. The yellow frame here looks quite similar with the fixed derailleur hanger and eyelets http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-cl ... 49828.html.

Trying to figure out any other ways to tell what it is, the serial number in my original post tells me nothing so far...

Re:

Definitely not a Psyclone,they had replaceable dropouts and as they were strictly race bikes,they had no rack eyelets.I`d say that its a Karakoram,they are excellent frames.Could be a Bravado too but they came will full XT.

Back