Annoying clicking, but what is it?

No, it is designed to take that into account so if you are running an E-type mech on a 73mm bb it replaces the third spacer.

Attachments

• bB.jpg
    bB.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 553
Removed, cleaned, greased and refitted the cranks and BB today (and sorted out a slight disc brake rub and changed the saddle - the slr may be light but my rear didn't like it). Sick children prevented a test ride but at least now it's all clean and assembled correctly. I did find an odd sliver of a metal spacer that wasn't supposed to be there, and one of the plastic 2.5mm spacers came apart iny hands so perhaps that was the source of the clicking? Tomorrow I shall find out for sure.

I had this same problem with my singlespeed stripped everything regreased still clicking it was only when I built another singlespeed with even less on it I found it was the chain (KMC) but with your set up not sure it will be the answer, one idea is to take parts off and ride without and try to narrow down your search of course I don't mean proper hrs ride just around the block, its doesn't matter where the noise is coming from to an extent for eg the handlebar clamps can sound like its coming from the BB the sound travels down the frame in many cases, be carefull when using copper grease on chainring bolts they can come lose and drop off and a big pain when you lose one, I would recomend a medium locktite for these bolts,

Possibly, but no longer. Sadly there is still a clicking. I've systematically taken parts off and the click remains:

Undone stem and headset pretensioner and removed - click still present when pressing frame with foot at the bb.

Removed seat post and clamp - sane test, same click

Removed pedals - same test, same click

Removed cranks - same test, same click

Removed bb - same test, same click

The click can sound as though it's coming from different places, sometimes towards the headset, middle of the frame or bb area.

Whilst I had the spanners out I thought I'd fit a bottle cage. Discovered that one of the riv-nuts spins in the frame which is annoying as the bolt was already in there so I can't get it out, but it got me thinking. Could this be the source of the click?? It's still pretty tight, so not free spinning, and perhaps when the frame is stresses via pedalling or pushing the bb, the down tube is twisting ever so slightly, and as the riv-nut is not fixed in place, is clicking/creaking?

Any way I can a) confirm this as the source and b) get the thing out and replaced??

Pretty sure that the frame is solid aside from that, inspected the welds and tubes pretty closely and can't see any failures at the welds or any other damage.

Re:

What a pain, but then ... there's naught much more annoying than a persistent click on a bike. Good luck in finally fixing it!

Re:

Undo the q\r to release the wheels too. Any bolt on hangers?
Flood the rivnut with oil and gaffer it down too.
Or get someone to hold it down.

Pictures?

Have you pushed from both sides?

Back