Holloetech 2 BB spacer fitting

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've never done holloetech 2 before so looked the bottom bracket spacer usage on YouTube and the only video I found said for a 68mm BB housing size it should be 2 spacers on the drive side and one on the other. We did this and even with 1 spacer the front derailleur, we haven't fitted gear cables yet, wouldn't reach far enough for the chain to reach the largest ring. Are there any actual guidelines as to how many spacers needed. We are going to attempt fitted the gear cables this weekend.

I was also concerned that as it stands, no cables, the front derailleur pulls the chain to far in and it drops off the smallest ring. I'm used to the front derailleur, without the cables fitted, naturally goes to the smallest ring

Any advice welcome 😊

The spacer count sounds right for a 68 shell. The limit screws on the mech probably need adjusting to prevent it dropping off the inner, and reaching but not going over the big ring.

J
The spacer count sounds right for a 68 shell. The limit screws on the mech probably need adjusting to prevent it dropping off the inner, and reaching but not going over the big ring.
Just when we had two spacers on the drive side and pulled the front derailleur as far as possible, it prity much never reached the largest chainring

The limit screws would prevent that so could need adjusting. What mech is it out of interest? If it is designed for 2x, it will not have the reach but I doubt it is that, just checking.

I did just check some online resources which state 2x2.5 spacers on the left, one on right which I think is 2 on the non drive side, one on drive as left is I believe when sitting on the bike.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be an issue then, what crank is it? Maybe it has an 83mm axle rather than the standard size?

68mm shell = 2 spacers driveside and 1 non, 73mm shell = 1 driveside.

Unless you are using an e-type front mech in which case the mech mount replaces one of the driveside spacers so it'd be one spacer and the mech on a 68mm shell, no spacers just the mech on a 73mm shell.

The problems I'm facing is two on the driveside means the front derailleur doesn't reach the largest chainring. So in is there differences in axel length as ishaw mentioned

Back