And today I revisited my youth

I agree, stick it in the readers rides.
It's a nice part of the world over in the road section ;)

Jamie

Yesterday I took it on the same ride as I took the first one for its first ride. Inverness to Dores.

Ran beautifully, and the gearchange under the seat worked fine. It wasn't really needed much, so I may just put a single speed wheel on it.

I did however resist the temptation to return via the MacBean Memorial climb out of Dores. :)

My big question is should I put stainless steel rims on it like I had on the first one - alloys were too flimsy for me back then - or is that taking nostalgia too far?

I have to decide whether to keep to my original build, or to consider what improvements I would have made over the years. Modern double wall rims are so much better. Mafac Racer brakes were the ducks nuts, but a set of Paul's centrepulls would be more rigid.

We'll see. :)

Don't bother with the stainless rims, unnecessary weight for no advantage other than built in ABS ;) Modern rims in an older looking style will be much lighter.
Pauls centrepulls would be lovely on anything really but Mafac racers are nice too I think, nicely polished of course.
Personally I would just put a derailleur on it myself, just like the original :)
The weekend after Easter we will have to go out again to test any improvements.

Jamie

Back