And today I did......

This post should have been Saturday but was too knackered.
Did Glentress Black climb, red descent on Topanga with DaveDH and a vast assortment of others. Fantastico :cool: the Topanga really handles well off road and downhill, almost as good as iDrive :D

Was going to take iDrive but the sapping power of rear bounce when you have lots of climbing was not for me, no rear lockout. This however has put an idea into my head. Sell iDrive frame and some bits, keep the rest including the fabby forks and buy one of those long travel fork hardtail frames. Result good climbing and great descending. Sorry iDrive, your days are numbered :roll:

Other than that my bike building mojo has evaporated so GT Pantera and Trek Y3 plus other bits and bobs will be boxed, covered with a tarpaulin and stored at the back of the shed until spring. Work is knackering me at the mo and resultant fatigue is destroying my will :(

Finally, get better Eck, things you'll do to get out of a bit of proper XC ;)

Do I see a On-one 456 in someone's future? :D I'd imagine that'd suit the Revs just fine. Shame about the iDrive, I never found climbing all that bad, I wonder if one of those pro-pedal rear shocks would work in conjunction with the iDrive BB arrangement?

Must have missed the Y3, when did you get that?

would it not be easier just buying a rear shock with lockout Velo? You seem to like the bike other than that. If you go for a long travel rigid, keep it steel.

With the iDrive, I find when I ride it its a fantastic machine, its a great bike but.........
I dont know why its not quite me, but the fact that an On-One 456 frame costs as much as a fancy shock but will cure the lockout issue where a fancy shock might not kind of swings it.
I think what further pushes me hardtail wise is the sheer fun I'm having with the topanga, i was nearly up with Dave DH at times on the descents especially fun was the section imediately after spooky wood :D
Hmmm much thinking will need to be done and the 456 is by no means the only contender ;)

I got the Y-frame a month or two back but getting the right bits for the build will take time and as I say my heart is not in it at the moment.

What forks are on the topanga? and what year is it? you might find a set of 63 or 80mm retro air forks would do the trick.

Unleash The Beast :twisted:

Was out on the modern Stumpy on saturday 1hr race pace :twisted:

Ive been out this morning 2hrs on the Stumpy race pace in the p#ssing rain soaked to the skin, loved it :twisted:

Early noughties Manitou six 80mm forks are fitted and make Topanga a great ride, Topanga is not for upgrade other than say a new paintjob, its perfect as is.

Bigger bump swallowing fork on a hardtail would make most trails accesible but Topanga is cheif retro fun bike in my stable :D

you'd have thought he could tell you were scottish from your name, that way he would have charged you more for the postage seen as it is a remote location.

RobMac":3jm739hp said:
A site member offered me a NOS XT rear mech for

£110.00 PLUS £3.00 P&P :shock:
Ask him if he can sell you some of whatever he's been smoking. Must be good stuff!

Back