And today I did......

Re:

You cant beat having a dedicated space to work on your bike(s), especially as the days are getting shorter, and colder! Just use an RCD plug on your extension and you should be fine, and if you plug in a heater that'll probably max out the extension lead fuse... my workspace has sockets but is taken from the outside lighting circuit :facepalm: so as I found out, too much load trips things out .

Re:

Thanks for RCD plug suggestion, I shall get one of those. As for heater, my tiny thermostat controlled fan heater has not blown anything yet. Plan though is dress warm and keep moving, lounging around best done in front of TV in house :D

Re:

Been working from home and stupid busy pretty much since March like many of us I guess, but today I logged in to RETROBIKE :LOL:

Been a while and cycling certainly hasn't been the highest priority for me recently, despite the cracking weather we had in lockdown, but as the winter nights close in I feel the need to be out

So, got my BLT lights fitted to this again :D

Attachments

• 278n.jpg
    278n.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 749
I have just finished building a Chumba HX-1 as a 69er using On One fat forks and a 29" front wheel with a 135mm axle.

I think I should now try half fat - does anyone have a suitable front wheel for sale please? I willl put a wanted ad in Trading Post.

Due to childcare and weather I’ve barely been out of house since Monday. Didn’t help myself this morning by settling down on PlayStation this morning for a wee hour and finally finishing up at ten past one. At least by that point the roads had dried up and the sun had softened the cup de sac enough that it was actually passable. Fuelled by hot soup I headed up and round the country park for a wee burl. Riding actually improved the higher up I went as the tracks there hadn’t had the same thaw/freeze cycle we’d had down by the coast. Nice covering of crispy snow on top of a frozen base gave surprising amount of grip, considering I’m still running a semi slick on the back. Also the upside that the boggy trail of doom was rideable for the first time this winter and the bike didn’t need cleaned when I got home.
Hope you’re all staying safe but still getting out.

Re:

We use a wee 800w halogen heater out of Homebase to take chill off the extension rather than run the underfloor htg, 35 quid I think it was and does a great job of heating a 4x4 spca.

I use a cheap Chinese diesel heater in the workshop. Had a few issues with it but when it works it's great. Maybe I should have gone for the Russian Planar like we have in the van though as that's never missed a beat. Before that or when it's playing up I use the old Bialaddin paraffin pressure bowl fire.

Today I went to the Post Office on the bike - too far to limp & I couldn't be arsed de-icing the car. Four miles & paying for it now but love riding in the cold.

Attachments

• fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 305
  • 08jan21.jpg
    08jan21.jpg
    822.1 KB · Views: 305
Re:

I'd planned to do some Strathpuffer replacement therapy today, ride from dawn till dusk, so I was up and at the trails car park early this morning.
Unfortunately things weren't looking good, the car park was sheet ice, and once onto the fire roads around the forest it was more of the same , about 25% rideable, the rest was a get off and walk/slip/slide :roll:
I think last weeks snow was compacted by the multitude of walkers partly thanks to the lockdown, and this had melted and re-froze over and over, its not really been warm enough for it to melt away yet.
I'd encountered the same problem elsewhere last weekend but at least there the trails were ok once you got into the woods.

So I slid back down the trail and headed home!

Oh well... :LOL:

I did some balance training.

I'm training my granddaughter for her military physical test so we ran 8km on basically sheet ice except where it was broken ice with icy water below. Our feet were soaked within minutes.

She did complain about that, but I told how lucky she was to be a Highlander, we have a genetic advantage and it wouldn't be bothering her soon. Sure enough within minutes she could no longer feel her feet.

Back