An ebay scam you may not have heard of...

good to share but ebay is not the high street

never done a transaction on ebay with post for an amount greater than am prepared to lose and put down to experience, done fair bit when pic up in person and pay cash, including a couple land rovers, and only sold collection only. Mrs has sold lots of old clothes and hand bags etc, mostly ok but few "gone wrong" but I don't comment as better sold for some cash than cluttering up the house, I mean how many handbags does a woman need..........

John":53t88b4k said:
Bad news. Can he not just get the Police involved, surely it's straight forward theft!

He lost approximately £130 so in his own words "...would be treated like someone who reports loud children"

Did he keep the packaging on the returned box? I'm thinking that the amount paid for postage should reflect the weight of the contents - and the package should be a bit light if there was no phone in it.

In the good old days my friend would do that with the phone companies. Buy an expensive phone, insure it, then say it was broken. In the meantime stick a crap old phone in the new box. Courier would turn up with a return bag, drop the box in and give over the new one. Two new phones.

Often the broken phones go to a third party for processing so by the time they had figured things out it was too late.

*It may have varied slightly as it was actually a friend and not me, but that was the jist of it. Apparently they've tightened things up since then.

technodup":3mtnuif4 said:
In the good old days my friend would do that with the phone companies. Buy an expensive phone, insure it, then say it was broken. In the meantime stick a crap old phone in the new box. Courier would turn up with a return bag, drop the box in and give over the new one. Two new phones.

Often the broken phones go to a third party for processing so by the time they had figured things out it was too late.

*It may have varied slightly as it was actually a friend and not me, but that was the jist of it. Apparently they've tightened things up since then.

They have. I claimed for an iPhone 4 about a year ago from O2. I'd dropped mine and broken the screen, and was utterly disgusted with the lack of service from O2 insure;

1/ They will only insure the handset you bought from them, so I had to get apple to provide written proof that they had replaced my iPhone 4 under warranty when it had a typical early adopter type failure.

2/ They won't send out a new phone until they have received and verified your old one, a process that involves sending you some pre-paid packaging (at least 1 day), you packaging your phone up, calling the courier and waiting around for him to pick it up (2 days), shipping to O2 (at least a day) and processing and verification by O2 (up to 10 working days, or two weeks in old money). Then, after the best part of three weeks without a phone, you have to wait around all day until a courier arrives with your new one...

The reason for this total ballache was detailed by O2, and their explanation can be summarised as being the fault of "your friend". Please, do feel free to punch him in the face next time you see him.

GSB":1kf7qsc1 said:
The reason for this total ballache was detailed by O2, and their explanation can be summarised as being the fault of "your friend". Please, do feel free to punch him in the face next time you see him.
I'm hardly going to punch myself. Er, I mean yeah I'll show him the error of his ways like.

Not that he'll care what with him being several high value phones to the good.

technodup":10p28kze said:
I'm hardly going to punch myself. Er, I mean yeah I'll show him the error of his ways like.

:facepalm: ...and there rests the case for the prosecution your honour.

:LOL:

technodup":jj2p1ofo said:
GSB":jj2p1ofo said:

Not that he'll care what with him being several high value phones to the good.

Remind me not to sell anything or buy off you. You still appear proud of it. :roll:

Back