AMP Research research

Nice job Gerard. Might get around to starting my MB in the coming weeks. But that front tube hurts my eyes, want to reach out and straighten that presta, ugh. ;)

Lloydstrans":4w8d412w said:
......that front tube hurts my eyes, want to reach out and straighten that presta, ugh. ;)

Noted...agree awful. Job done!

Went for my first ride on it Sunday. A 6 or so mile circuit I do around the village 95% off road. My first ride on a full suspension bike!. Any very pleased. Great ride. :D
Probably need to set the shocks up a little. Rear is "bouncy" on the tarmac. Probably look at getting a Risse in due course.

Went on travels today to pick up another B4. It looked to be in a bit of a sorry state, missing cranks seat post etc, but it has F4 forks and the AMP disc brakes. The rear triangle has brake bosses. So I thought worth a punt.
I really wanted the disc brakes for my other B4 which is a late frame. My F3xc forks are earlier ones I suspect because they have a threaded steerer and brake bosses.

The plan is to eventually swap a few bits about and end up with a rim brake early B4 and a later disc brake B4.

The rear shock mount on the rear triangle is different from the later one, I'm not sure the shock is the same as my other....need to check.
dscf5756.jpg

A few surprises...the disc hubs are Middleburn. I was expecting White Industries. I know Middleburn did make disc hubs, but thought they would be IS not AMP's odd size.
dscf5763.jpg

Syncros Ti bb, and headset, original XTR SIS brakes & pods.
dscf5761.jpg

I need to do some work an in particular rebuild the disc callipers.......anyone any experience? Parts!!!! Caskets/seals can't be that difficult as I would think others might fit???
dscf5758.jpg

Looks like the Middleburn hub is running some sort of ISO to AMP adapter.
Using 3 of the ISO bolts to hold the adapter on, then a different BCD set of 3 on the adapter to fit AMP.

All the best,

Re:

My two AMP b4s. The Cherry Red is one of last and weighs in at a fraction over 12kg with F4 fork and Avid BB7 disc brakes. The plain alloy is a very early one, v-brakes, F3 forks and weighs exactly 10kg which I think is pretty good for a full suspension bike.

The F4 fork needs the dampers rebuilt which I will get around to. Likewise the AMP D1 disc brakes which I have. However quite happy with BB7, other than the front squeals, so happy to use them.

dscf5773-001.jpg

Akula":2i14crur said:
Looking good, what's the clearance like for your risse shock on the seat mount

Akula
Apologies I meant to respond to your post last week, but forgot.

There are no issues with clearance with the Risse shock. I have the simple one (Genesis). It is easier to mount if you remove the seat tower.
I used it this weekend in a lot of mud....worst I've ridden in for a while and no problems either.

Re:

Well after nearly two years after starting this post my B5/F4 BLT arrived this week :D . I'll put up some photos tomorrow as I have lots more questions!

The fork is going to have to be broken down as all of the pivot points are covered in silicone which I guess was done in an attempt to stop water/dirt ingress. Is that a simple thing to do? Are there certain things I need to know about before starting this?

Re: Re:

Swede":h9yzp4qx said:
The fork is going to have to be broken down as all of the pivot points are covered in silicone which I guess was done in an attempt to stop water/dirt ingress. Is that a simple thing to do? Are there certain things I need to know about before starting this?

Careful of those 4mm hex nuts. They are aluminium and prone to striping or worse, the head coming off.
Photos of what you are facing would be helpful.

Anyway...enjoy, great bike.

Back