Amberwall tyres?

themountie":1f7ero0w said:
I have some one used Tioga city slicker amber walls good condition loads of tred left

The OP was looking for usable dirt tyres. City Slickers aren't known for their awesomeness off-road.

Radnomad, those Panaracer Fairweather tyres look great, but have you tried to buy any without them costing 3 figures?? Only ones I could find were overseas and seemed prohibitively expensive to import.

jimo746":2pty21sw said:
themountie":2pty21sw said:
I have some one used Tioga city slicker amber walls good condition loads of tred left

The OP was looking for usable dirt tyres. City Slickers aren't known for their awesomeness off-road.

Radnomad, those Panaracer Fairweather tyres look great, but have you tried to buy any without them costing 3 figures?? Only ones I could find were overseas and seemed prohibitively expensive to import.

Jimo i found them in a shop in Tokyo so grabbed a pair. Look good and light too with kevlar folding bead. No idea if available in UK but could probably be ordered online somewhere.
Likely not the cheapest option but... new, good quality amberwall 26" knobblies do exist.

Thanks to everyone for your great replies, looks like I will have to bite the bullet if I want what im after, seems amberwall dirt tyres are still available new but on the wrong side of the world!

legrandefromage":36j787gz said:
I wouldnt get too hung up on 'amberwalls' - there simply are none left that are new and actually ok to ride.

These will ride far better than anything second hand unless you happen on a stockpile of Ritchey Z-max or Wolber!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... -prod24604

Was ideally after amberwalls (personal whim) to go on my 1991 Proflex, got stacks of blackwalls, just wanted the proper look.

The re-issued Panaracer Smoke/Dart may well be your best bet if you want to buy new, and compared to decent modern tyres the price isn't really all that bad.
My retro bikes aren't ridden daily anyway, so I figured that spending a moderate amount on amberwall tyres was ok as they'd probably last a long time given the amount of miles they'd do each year.

Why not try posting an ad on the "Wanted" section on here? You might get some decent hardly used amberwalls for a readonxble price?

bogslogger1977":156kixdx said:
Thanks to everyone for your great replies, looks like I will have to bite the bullet if I want what im after, seems amberwall dirt tyres are still available new but on the wrong side of the world!

If you are prepared to bite the bullet, Jon still has some Darts. They are suitable for front & rear, arguably better on the front that the front specific Darts.
Jon is a good guy, I got a pair off him. Price is best your likely to find for new and they are in the UK. Thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=257248

Re:

If you ride mostly tarmac > hardpack the best would be Fairweather, if mostly hardpack > mud (and the knobbliest off-road look) then Smoke/Dart.

Aggressive mud tyres are slower, noisier and wear much faster on hard surfaces. Unless you really expect to do mostly off-road riding, you'll get better value and a more efficient ride from more tarmac-friendly tyres.

Back