Am i unfit or are commuters/ 29 ers faster

Charlieboy28

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right where to start, bit of background.

I have a bit of a dodgy knee caused so im told by pushing to bigger gears and or wear and tear .over the years, this is worse in the colder months.
Anyways Im 36 not as fit as i once was ,but getting fitter now that summers here and im back in the saddle more and dont exactly tootle along, bearing in mind i ride with protecting the knee in mind, anwyays

these last few weeks have managed to get home from work early on a number of occassions and get out on the bike, one advantage of birmingham is the miles and miles of canals ,riverside paths etc, which enjoyable and not too strenuous perfect for building fitness.

on three occassion now i have been overtaken by bikes with bigger wheels,

the first was a lovely comely wench on a commuter, panniers a bulging, face very pretty but bright red, cycling shorts very firm thighs,lol i digress, there i was slightly in my own world and coasting down a long fast hill on the road, when the aforementioned lass over took me, manly pride forced me to crank into top gear and overtake her again,but i took some doing.

a few days later, on another ride, and near the beginning when i had lots of energy and i was going a fair old pelt not full out but decent i thought, i hear a ring ring from behind me on the canal path, and i move over to let this guy, in black and yellow lycra, but very beefy and not to thin round the middle should we say, comes flying past.
once i get over the shock of this i go after the guy, who looks like hes tootling, along, go into my biggest gear and go after him, so me in top, my legs rmp at least twice what his are, and i gain not an inch on him and have to give up.

then yesterday, end of canal path ride having done about 30 miles, i get over taken by a guy on a 29 er, again he did not look to be pushing to big a gear flew past me, but i was knackered at this point,
we then came off the canal up a steep hill, and depsite my tiredness, gained on him going up the canal path hill ,then over took him on a continued climb on the road,

so is it that im unfit, or are these commuters and 29 ers quicker, it was the big fat bumblebee more than anything that got me, he looked like he was putting no effort in at all, so would slick tyres bigger wheels and gears account for this, i know also he could have been a superfit rugby type guy an all that,

but the last thing you want to hera when you going pretty quick along a falt path is a ring ring then a big fat bloke over takes you,

anyway i ramble any thoughts folks

do i need to get me a commuter for my canalside jollies then?

Simple answer is yes - bigger wheels are faster. There is more to it than that, but you can travel faster on a bike with bigger wheels for the same effort.

i keep running out of gears too on road at least going down hill,
what sort of ratios do these commuters have?

Bigger wheels have a larger rolling diameter and require more effort to get moving.

Dont worry about it. There are faster fitter people no matter what bike they use.

Some people can look over weight but still be bike fit, on flat routes it doesn't make much difference.

Tyres/Wheel size - It does make a difference on the smooth stuff, instead of buying a new bike just get a cheap set of wheels with MTB slicks on swap them for when on the canal paths.

I run singlespeed on canals on a 29er (36/12 gearing) with tyres wanged up to 70/75 psi and it easier to cycle quickly on such a bike than it is an MTB.

Still think a lot has to do with just how often you ride though, the people that passed you may ahve been commuting all winter etc. and it's just getting the miles in.

Larger wheels increase the gearing, skinnier tyres reduce the drag. MTB can be faster if you fit skinny slick tyres at high psi and increase the chainring size. Fitness and focus are the next factors, my fitness is OK but I daydream way too much and thus loose focus :LOL:

Back