Am I being unreasonable?

dyna-ti":1cf71cyl said:
Define 'lifetime' If you ask the average Joe in the street it will be forever.
It doesn't matter what the man in the street thinks. The question might as well be on aircraft dynamics for all the actual experience or knowledge he has of the subject.
Theres a set group of rules applying to this and nobody posting on here knows what they are.

Personally I cant be 4r5ed going to find what the patent office or government or industry standards commission has this information, but it will be somewhere.

I think you really made Marin's day, and they're still laughing their 4r5es off.

Not just Marin.....PMSL.

Re: Re:

sinnerman":3dqw3fmf said:
Another question posed that has significant relevance, before Marin gets burned at the stake for the next 47 years.

And a fair question asked....

Where is the Receipt for purchase and the warranty card, in the name of the current owner.

Because before we all go off on a tangent ref warranties etc and what Marin should or shouldn't do, its clear by his own volition what the OP is trying to achieve long term.

Lets see the receipt/invoice and warranty card, for with out this, the whole thread is pointless, The warranty is for the Original owner, no one else, if this cannot be demonstrated, at the outset your Fcuked.

and even then you would have to demonstrate, its not been neglected.

Card should have gone back to Marin otherwise it could easily be null and void as they wouldn't have registered themselves as the owner (though apparently few Marin bikeshops checked), the lifetime bearing warranty was a Whyte thing (and still is with their new bikes).
It'll all be in the T&C's, they cannot be changed by Marin!
But as you say it was the lifetime with the owner, as far as I can determine it was not the lifetime of the frame or bearing, but the owner owning it.
It may be worth an email to Whyte and see what they also say (they may remember the conditions on the bearing warranty)

Laugh all you want, this isn't about how long a bearing should last, it's about what was offered.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3n1y8nls said:
sinnerman":3n1y8nls said:
Another question posed that has significant relevance, before Marin gets burned at the stake for the next 47 years.

And a fair question asked....

Where is the Receipt for purchase and the warranty card, in the name of the current owner.

Because before we all go off on a tangent ref warranties etc and what Marin should or shouldn't do, its clear by his own volition what the OP is trying to achieve long term.

Lets see the receipt/invoice and warranty card, for with out this, the whole thread is pointless, The warranty is for the Original owner, no one else, if this cannot be demonstrated, at the outset your Fcuked.

and even then you would have to demonstrate, its not been neglected.

Card should have gone back to Marin otherwise it could easily be null and void as they wouldn't have registered themselves as the owner (though apparently few Marin bikeshops checked), the lifetime bearing warranty was a Whyte thing (and still is with their new bikes).
It'll all be in the T&C's, they cannot be changed by Marin!

It may be worth an email to Whyte and see what they also say (they may remember the conditions on the bearing warranty)

Laugh all you want.

There you are then, you've answered the question perfectly. If the Op bought it new, perhaps in the bicycle shops he suggests he worked in, he would have known this, as i suggested earlier. He would certainly be aware of the process etc.

But as i said, I call BS.

Do you know ovlov440 form any ride etc>

Couldn't give a toss about bullshit myself. He can say what he want's. That has nothing to do with the warranty.

Current Whyte bearing are replaced free even if they wear out, this warranty comes from the same place and principle, just under Marin's brand name.

FluffyChicken":2rqvfl50 said:
Do you know ovlov440 form any ride etc>

Couldn't give a toss about bullshit myself. He can say what he want's. That has nothing to do with the warranty.

Current Whyte bearing are replaced free even if they wear out, this warranty comes from the same place and principle, just under Marin's brand name.

So being in the trade, having dealt with Bicycle companies, having bought a Whyte designed Marin, you would presume he would know this.

Like i said, he hasnt been entirely honest, has he, (that is completely clear).

Its a good job your here with your knowledge, because now he can take his bearings to Whyte and get them replaced FOC.

Although i think he will be secretly gutted when he gets his new bearings, he wont have "Lets Slate Marin" story to regurgitate to anyone who will listen at every chance he gets for the next 47 years.

Bloody Shame.... :roll:

I'm not saying he will get bearings, probably need to fight for it. The warranty is still with Marin, not Whyte themselves.

Honestly, it's either fight for the principle or just get some decent bearings and do it yourself.

No doubt it would need the frame sending or taking to a Marin dealership to be done.

Anyway, lets get the popcorn out and see what happens.

FluffyChicken":1mru2d8f said:
I'm not saying he will get bearings, probably need to fight for it. The warranty is still with Marin, not Whyte themselves.

Honestly, it's either fight for the principle or just get some decent bearings and do it yourself.

No doubt it would need the frame sending or taking to a Marin dealership to be done.

Anyway, lets get the popcorn out and see what happens.

I have an Extra Large drink, a Hotdog and some popcorn.

And by the grace of GOD, i hope they sort it.

Attachments

• OTHERWISE GOD HELP THEM.......!.jpg
    OTHERWISE GOD HELP THEM.......!.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 244
Once I have an answer back from Marin I will update.

Either way, the thread has surprised me at how some on this group are the very definition of a keyboard warrior, casting personal opinions about someone they have no personal knowledge about. Fortunately I do not have to see them spout their FOE vitriol any longer. Maybe it was a mistake to think that people on this group were above that :-(

ovlov440":30qxawc1 said:
Once I have an answer back from Marin I will update.

Either way, the thread has surprised me at how some on this group are the very definition of a keyboard warrior, casting personal opinions about someone they have no personal knowledge about. Fortunately I do not have to see them spout their FOE vitriol any longer. Maybe it was a mistake to think that people on this group were above that :-(

Call it what you will, not everyone will blow smoke up your ass when your Bullshit is fundamentally flawed.

For Marins Sake alone, good luck with your bearings. ;)

Re:

i think this is a grey area odd one, i used to sell Marin bikes, at this time they were Jon Whyte designed (like the model being talked about) we did sell them telling people lifetime warranty on the bearings, back then they were designed in the UK (by jon whyte via ATB sales) for the original owner of Marin in the USA, i slightly odd arrangement really as a flag waving US company having their UK importer designing the bikes.

now when i was selling them it was so rare to have to replace the bearings, they genuinely are very good bearings that they fit.

now the biggest issues i see with the lifetime warranty on the bearings as i see it is that not only are the bikes not designed here anymore, Marin the company was sold, they no longer work with ATB sales and the bike is 16 years old.

what i would tell you is that if it was ATB sales still i bet they would honor the warranty, i always found them good to deal with and very customer focused.

but the truth is now you are asking a company that is not the company the bike was sold by to honor a warranty on a bike they never designed and never had anything to do with and therefore won't have parts for.

are you being unreasonable? no if it was the original set up (ATB sales and original Marin owner) but sort of yes bearing in mind it's a different company that effectively you are asking for something free from that they had nothing to do with.

that said, most people will not know the company/importer changed so therefore it's not necessarily an out of order thing to expect them to warranty something if you didn't know the company effectively changed hands etc.

but to be honest as well, at 16 years i'd just buy the bearings.

:)

Back