Am I being unreasonable?

Re:

The sad truth is, it has nothing to do with the warranty you were offered/sold with when you bought the bike,

And what you have been fed in the reply is simple bullshit to avoid having to spend any money on something the current company didn't offer you,

They simply didn't own the company when your bike was made, and your bike was sold, and the warranty was printed.

The ownership of the "Brand Name" has changed. Along with it, there company policies.

If the company still exists then it still stands, even if it has new owners.

ovlov440":x6kjvk2k said:
Hi all

My wife has a 2004 Marin Attack Trail (the Whyte designed one with the multi pivot swingarm). When sold this came with a lifetime warranty on the bearings.

The bearings in my wife's bike have all failed. I emailed Marin UK and the response I got back was this:

Thank you for reaching out to Marin Bikes unfortunately we no longer offer a lifetime warranty on the bearings. This is something that was changed around 2012. Bearings are considered wear items and we had to adjust the policy as a lifetime warranty on bearings is just not realistic. The best thing to do would be to work with your local bearing distributor to get the correct size. The size of the bearing should be printed on the bearing seal. Enduro bearings make great bearings and have worldwide distribution.

Now, a set of bearings for this is around £40. However, am I right in my thinking that a warranty is a warranty - it cannot be retrospectively removed or changed. I can understand why Marin don't warranty for life the bearings NOW - but that doesn't change the fact that the bike I have WAS sold with that warranty.

£40 is not the end of the world however it is more an issue of trust - if Marin (or anyone) is willing to disregard a previously given warranty then where does it leave trust in the manufacturer?

And the initial question you asked was, "are you being unreasonable".

I would think any thing that has been stood in a cold damp dark shed garage or lock up mostly unused for the length of time you have mentioned, will see natural deterioration.

Given its your wifes bike, and I'm guessing largely unridden for most of its life, its to be expected that without use, and due care and attention, these items will deteriorate.

I think dragging it out now during a Pandemic to go for a jolly (as so many have). Seeing seized and/or damaged bearings/cases, and thinking hang on, its suppose to have a lifetime warranty, is more than unreasonable, its a bit of a piss take.

But to be fair, this is whats wrong with the world.

When something has been neglected, its always easier to find others to blame. Of course your bearings should LAST FOREVER. :facepalm:

mk one":j51w20fw said:

That maybe the case, but this never got mentioned when he received the reply. And despite this being the real reason, its not in question.

sinnerman":2928busr said:
mk one":2928busr said:

That maybe the case, but this never got mentioned when he received the reply. And despite this being the real reason, its not in question.

Sorry, i misinterpreted your post as to be the reason for not honoring it.

mk one":1jbxcayu said:
sinnerman":1jbxcayu said:
mk one":1jbxcayu said:

Sorry, i misinterpreted your post as to be the reason for not honoring it.

To be Fair your right, on both counts, but i fear the underlying reason is that the investment company that have the brand now would have no intention of honoring aged warranties. Its more about shillings and pence now more than ever. And for them far easier to give the reason they have.

Although, I'm pretty confident if the owner seeking bearings under its lifetime warranty, explained it was his wifes bike that has been stood up for the majority of its 16 year life, largely unused and unmaintained. They too would simply reply, neglect isnt covered under any manufacturers warranty, here's a number for a reliable bearing company for you to replace your items with.

Sadly a WARRANTY is NOT a GUARANTEE.

I suspect the bearings would have come with a lifetime warranty for manufacturing quality and failure due to poor manufacturing or failure in the components used.

NOT damp, rust, lack of maintenance and or use.

The Worlds gone FCUKin MAD.

Re: Re:

k-rod":101vlevj said:
As Bill Clinton once so famously said - "It all depends on what your definition of 'is' is" ...

or something to that effect ;)
Ah,the famous "isis" speech. One of the 1st times the term Isis was slipped in with most oblivious!

Re:

"Ashes to ashes dust to dust, if you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust"

for good customer PR etc a set of bearings for this manufacture wouldn't cost much. So Marin stop being a tight arse and send some bearings. Then the thread would be how nice Marin are.

tintin40":29il8gbl said:
for good customer PR etc a set of bearings for this manufacture wouldn't cost much. So Marin stop being a tight arse and send some bearings. Then the thread would be how nice Marin are.

I would imagine, if the company were the same as 16 years ago, and had access to the suppler used, or had some kicking about, they would, simply for that reason and not because they have failed due to poor quality and workmanship.

The Crying shame here, is through no fault of there own, they will now get slated online, because someone thought there own neglect should be covered under a "Warranty".

And folk wonder why Bicycle companies dont last. :facepalm:

Back