Am I being thick?

I appreciate all of this but it still does not alleviate the fact that a new Hyperglide bottom sprocket will never clamp down the block on an old freehub body.

At risk of teaching people how to suck eggs, the body on the left is from a new freehub, the splines stop short of the end of the body, to allow the 11t sprockets to fit. Old freehub bodies onlt had the option of a 12t bottom sprocket, so the splines went to the end and 'peirced' the sprocket. On an 11t this would leave insufficient metal under the teeth, the cure is to either use a very very thin washer behind the whole cassette (the wibbly one that normaly separates the 2 loose sprockets works) or to change the bottom sprocket to an old 12t.

I think that the suggestion that you shave the ends of the splines, to effectivly convert the body to Hyperdrive C spec, should be done carefully, by someone who is confident at metal work, and with the knowlege that if you bugger it up you would have had to buy a new freehub body anyway.

IMHO ;)

Attachments

• 2k7-bodies.gif
    2k7-bodies.gif
    25.1 KB · Views: 903
if cherrybomb is running a 8speed freehub it should take the 11t sprocket anyway shouldn't it? so 7sp 11 up should be fine so the end of the body shouldn't make any difference should it? or are you (stick legs) talking bout a problem you have? get someone to lathe the slots down should work for you, but the freehub bodies can be so cheap now is worth the hassle? and with the ones you've pictured you'd have to play about with your cone lengths and depths and possibly swap the bearing covers in the end of the bodies.

bedtime, riding tomorrow

Seen this before with 7 speed. As you say, 8 speed shouldn't be a problem, unless it is early 8, but that would make it M900 or Ultegra, I used to use a Ultegra freehub body on an M730 hub to get 8.

Hope it is resolved...

I'm going to have a bash at making it fit, either by making a slim spacer or having a chew at the splines with a diamond file. TBH the freehub has seen better days, so if it does all go pear shaped, I'll go out and buy a 7 speed. ;)

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted on how it pans out. :D

Go to LBS with choccy Hobnobs. Ask to have their old dead nine speed cassettes from their bin. File off the three retaining rivet heads round back of the cassette, take cassette apart and use 2 nine speed spacers. Job's a good 'un.

Back