Alimo - Dutch Benotto sub-brand (70-80s)

Take a look at pictures of continental pro riders from before the brifter era. Almost without exception they all ran (and still do) with the front brake operated by the left lever. The only non-British rider who springs to mind that didn't was Francesco Moser.
Twin cable clips as pictured were commonly available in bike shops at the time and some bikes were supplied with such things from the factory.

That's very tidy! How does it look from the front?

I haven't got a better picture, and that bike is in storage ATM, so that will have to wait, I'm afraid.

However, one solution is not doing anything about it. Jacques Anquetil managed pretty well that way:

1k0.jpg

I haven't got a better picture, and that bike is in storage ATM, so that will have to wait, I'm afraid.

However, one solution is not doing anything about it. Jacques Anquetil managed pretty well that way:

1k0.jpg
I suppose if the cables are naturally positioned in a way that keeps the cables away from the hands it would be fine.
The usual method of using the stem as a cable guide does look like it would work better, I wonder if there is any disadvantage when crossing over the stem based on Anquetil's set up.

I suppose if the cables are naturally positioned in a way that keeps the cables away from the hands it would be fine.
The usual method of using the stem as a cable guide does look like it would work better, I wonder if there is any disadvantage when crossing over the stem based on Anquetil's set up.

I have been browsing old pictures, and using the stem as a divider seems to have become fashionable sometime during the 1960's. Before that brake cables were mostly kept to their own sides.

Crossing the stem and then routing the front brake cable back to the lever side might look a little awkward, and perhaps make centering the front brake a little more difficult as well.

Update on reproduction Alimo sticker set
The artwork is complete, I received a few unsatisfactory printed sticker sets today. The printing company I chose isn't the most reactive and was unable to closely match the colours, like I requested, to the original seat tube sticker I sent them. Colour matching and accurate cuts are the challenges I have to overcome.
I might have to try another company if no joy.
They did print some satisfactory top tube stickers of all the Alimo variants identified in this thread. These are printed in both black and white on transparent vinyl which makes off centre cutting less of a problem. The artwork is not accurately traced from a real sticker but reproduced using images from the internet and educated guesswork to get the size close to being right.
If someone can measure a genuine top tube sticker on their bike, I can modify them no problem, I'd prefer them to be as perfect as possible.

1662626146740.png
1662626173977.png

I was looking for more Alimo Photos and found this Benotto Modello 1500 Frameset that was for sale on the LFGSS website a few years ago.
As you can see, it features the chrome and red, "Imported by Alimo Holland Guarantee Label" sticker. ALgemene IMport Onderneming were the Importers of Benotto bikes during that period.

I was wondering about this sticker because my Alimo didn't have it.
Could it be that this sticker was only stuck on to Alimos sold in Holland?

Back