ADVICE ON A SALE..

I try and describe as best as possible, and happy to send any photos requested.

However, someone was not pleased with one frame they bought from me - whether justified or not, he was polite and pleasant about it, so I offered it be returned and then gave him a refund when received without damage. I knew I could sell on as no big issue. Its really not worth the hassle. I ended up a whole £8 down, but sold for same price again, so no great shakes. No stress. Life goes on.

This though is not the norm, most people are fine, and if you buy second hand, honestly, its always a bit of a gamble! Thata accepted. Some things arrive and its a 'wow, that was a chuffin good buy' and other times its 'ah, sheet, what am I gonna do with that now' :LOL:
Its what makes the classifieds so fun!

Get it back, check it over, refund, move on...

What was it anyway...could be interested..... ;)

Well since we're airing dirty washing in public:

Guys, it was me who bought the frame. It was supposed to be brand new. I DON'T know what Joe payed for it.
On receipt I saw what appeared to be a crack emanating from a weld and also noticed that the tensioning adjuster was rubbing on the chainstay and had already taken the top layer of paint off, obviously a site for rust in the future.
I told Joe who said he hadn't noticed any of these faults. Who doesn't give a frame a good looking over when you've just received it and it's brand new?!
He did placate me and said that he didn't think it'd be a problem and didn't think it was a crack. How would he know if he hadn't seen it before? Didn't say much about the tensioner only that he hadn't noticed it.
Sent him another mail asking if he was sure about that, in fact it was ME who suggested that it may be a hair!! NOT Joe!
He said it'd be no problem, probably a line or such.
I thought about it some more and decided a brand new handbuilt frame just should not be like this. Used yes, new no. This has never been built up.
Asked if he would take the frame back, obviously I would pay postage, that way we both only lose out a little. Fair I thought.
He refused. Suggested I sell it on ebay
Said I would take legal ADVICE, not action!! And go from there. I'm out of pocket too!

NOT cold feet, I've been single speeding for two years now using a WI ENO set up and dearly wanted a single speed specific frame that uses discs.

As to the seatpost I bought from Jez it looked like it had been rubbed down a concrete step, it was described as good condition. We all have our own ideas of condition I accept that but this to me at any rate was only fit for a hack. As to never dealing with me again how petty and small minded. And I paid the postage back.

Just for the record...my gripe had nothing to do with you Steve - it was another chap who bought some Bullseye cranks.

I'd forgotten about that seatpost incident...

Then you have my apologies sir. Sorry mate this is all rather upsetting for me and Joe too I imagine.

Glad to see you put everyone straight...

Theres me using no names to keep it from being public knowledge!
I was mealy asking neutral advice from like minded folk ;)

I'm sorry about that Joe, but it was obvious who it concerned.

Gosh, how we'll laugh about this in years to come.........

He doesnt have a leg to stand on its a private sale, it sounds like hes just trying it on.
plus you dont know what he has done to the frame whilst hes had it.

T88sser

The reason you get good sales on here Slim, is we're all brown blooded true dirt riders and are practical about these matters. Most ride as well as show the same bikes. A few imperfections are like good patina on furniture and add to the character on a scoot. Half the fun is the re furb of a hard ridden bike.
I have generally found more problems with exporting than the UK market on Fleabay, with all manner of goods. Stick to UK sales with goods. I would.

Without wishing to comment on a difference of opinion between two members, I would just like to comment on the point of principle.

It is not a matter of caveat emptor just because it is a 'private sale'. Whoever you are, the item has to be (a) as described and (b) of 'merchantable quality', and if it isn't the buyer can repudiate it provided he registers his objections within 'a reasonable time' (not defined, but generally a few days).

In particular, if there is a dispute over whether a frame might have a hairline crack, it would be sensible to take it to a reputable LBS and ask the proprietor's opinion as to whether it is a crack or not - he will have experience of warranty claims and should be able to give an informed view. If it is a crack, it is clearly not of merchantable quality. If it is a hair in the lacquer, the LBS will be able to advise on whether that would be sufficient to merit a warranty claim.

This happened to me once, but with goodwill on both sides it was sorted as follows. I bought a bike secondhand, which on being cleaned (!) revealed a crack on a bb weld. I am pretty sure the seller was unaware of it, but my LBS confirmed that it was likely to worsen and if I was the original purchaser I would get a new frame under warranty. Now it happened that the seller was the original purchaser, so I said that I wouldn't accept the frame but I would hold off legal action if he would take the frame to the LBS he bought it off, because he was entitled to a warranty replacement. This he did, and in the end I didn't actually get a replacement but Kona sent the frame to Argos Racing Cycles for a repair and repainting, so I ended up with a better frame than new.

I hope this example is helpful.

Back