Abilita Detective fun AKA name that tubeset

Re:

New scales arrived today, 1970g in a 56x56

This compares unfavourably to my slightly-bigger Ribble which is 653 record and a 56x57 which came in around 1800g

So

27.2 seat tube
Close "race" clearances
Race number tag
Cinelli spoiler BB shell
Columbus dropouts
1970g frame
No SLX rifling

Columbus SL?
Reynolds 531 in some double butted variant?

Given the general skankiness of the frame I'd expect to see dents in it if it was 531.

I've seen many a nice 531 frame with dings from handlebars, getting knocked or slipping when parked. I've even heard of visibly squished seat tubes from front mech clamps! (I've never seen that myself though)

If it's Columbus, which I read Mr Wilkin used a lot, then here's a table of tubing specs. http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/columb ... schart.htm best checking the seat tube with Vernier calipers rather than tubeset weight unless someone else has a frame with the same BB lugs and dropouts to compare.

I'd think Columbus is fairly likely, but not guaranteed.

at the bottom of the seat lug where I know the ID is 27.2 i'm getting 28.9mm OD on my calipers

(28.9 - 27.2)/2 = 0.85

A Reynolds 531C seat tube is 0.8/0.5
A Columbus SL is 0.9/0.6

I'm erring towards 531C at the mo

Could well be!

If it wasn't for the internal routing and Deltas on my SL-tubed Concorde, I'd strip it to compare. Sadly, the Deltas need a new cable every time you disconnect them.

Is the OD consistent immediately below the seat lug?

Hahaha, I couldn't ask you to do that anyway.

I think i'm going to get it powdercoated, build it up with the bits it came with (the frame got shed battered but all the components have never been used pretty much), a mix of 7 speed 105 and RX-100 and move it on again. I've had my fun with it.

cce":72ofen24 said:
coming back from the paintshop tomorrow. neon yellow no more....

Full frontal frame pics this time... none of these arty "teaser" shots we've been rationed to thus far.

Ps. Even if its my size, I'm not buying it. Chez Jack is beyond full.

Back