Aargh - they are re-inventing the wheel A G A I N

Mr Roget says: "We have 130 years of experience and knowledge in perfecting inflatable structures like pneumatic tyres. Airless technology is very recen...''
*Record scratch
*Freeze frame
cyrille.JPG
''Yep, that's me, caught in the middle of more bullshit''

airless1.JPG
airless3.JPG airless1.JPG
You have to despise the way industry continuously attempts to recycle old ideas and package them as new or ground breaking, cycling is just one of many repeat offenders.

What they are really trying to do is pretend that these aren't wholly solved technologies while desperately concealing the fact that they have run out of genuinely new and interesting ideas. R&D leads scouring old encyclopaedias and magazines for inspiration (AKA ideas) to rip off and use to secure budgetary extensions.

it's always the big boys who do it too, corporatized and stale mega corps with nation sized annual turnovers to maintain, and without a real garden shed genius driving innovation I guess they really have no choice but to gobble up and excrete already abandoned ideas. And what is saddest of all is it works, certain people lap this garbage up, we will see hipsters on their £3,000 airless tyres cruising around the city, filming themselves on their i-phones on a stick, until they figure out that the absolute last thing any multinational corporation wants to do is stop you from buying replacements, and that when these fail on the road a band aid and a pump ain't gonna get you home.

Last edited:
But your missing the bigger picture here.....its perfect for companies! You WILL have to buy more when the tread wears out......and i guarantee they will be 3 times the price of a dunlop 205 x 16 x 55 "ditch finder".

Also they will only be fitted by main dealers at £130 an hour......lovely jubbly.

I don´t care for the class struggle, poetic justice or the wrath of God on this one. Tires and rims need more development. Flats svck. Some places we ride ar full of thorns, rocks, nails and debris. Tubeless is already a big move but tubeless tires and rims are heavy. I want a lighter technology.

Tubeless is already a big move but tubeless tires and rims are heavy. I want a lighter technology.

It's hard to see how an inflated skin can be lightened much further - after all half of its weight is the running surface. All those ribs etc are going to make an airless tyre significantly heavier.

Modern materials might offer a breakthrough compared to old approaches, but I'm not optimistic on this one.

Read that article a couple of days ago, it occurred to me that there are no sidewalls on these airless "tyres" that would prevent stones or other debris getting in amongst the multitude of spokes. As can be seen in pics the spokes flex a bit just like the sidewalls of proper tyres, what is going to happen as they flex against a stone/hard debris? Can foresee several spoke failures due to wear. Not exactly impossible on our crappy roads. Another consideration is the "tyre" being out of balance with a stone jammed inside.

It's hard to see how an inflated skin can be lightened much further - after all half of its weight is the running surface. All those ribs etc are going to make an airless tyre significantly heavier.

Modern materials might offer a breakthrough compared to old approaches, but I'm not optimistic on this one.
The goo/ liquid/ sealant rolling inside the tire, is heavy.

Back