A warning for men of a certain age, a true story.

johntheboy

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I have thought long and hard about posting this, but I feel I should share my experience with all males of a certain age. Last Saturday night I was rushed into Hospital having been unable to pee for most of the day. I woke Saturday morning made my way to the bathroom and stood there waiting to pee after a maybe a minutes delay the flow started and then slowly petered out. That’s strange thinks I and just a little bit painful. Anyway goes has breakfast with large mug of coffee and gets on with my day.

Morning goes on shopping with the wife, checking bike for ride on Monday, thinks! must have a wee. Goes in the loo stands there waiting eventually manage a bit of a squirt, starting to think that maybe something might be amiss. Dinner time comes more coffee but now starting to feel a bit light headed with a head ache. Then tells the wife I am not quite feeling myself and I’m off to bed. She looks at me shocked “your going to bed?” Anyway bed it is and I lay there watching football feeling sorry for myself. As the afternoon turned in to evening my actual peeing has ceased by now wife going frantic calls a friend of ours who’s a retired GP. He arrives takes one look at me and rings 999. By this time I am in agony and crying with the pain!!!

Well A&E Saturday night, drunks, kids with cuts, a fat women eating a Maccy D then throwing it up again: and then me moaning and crying with the worst pain I have ever had in my life. I think I must have been the noisiest because I was put in a side room with just a small delay. Now we start the insert the catheter game. 4 attempts by 4 different NHS people over 2 hours, in the end the big wig registrar manages to get it through my prostate into the bladder. 2 litres/over 4 pints of urine gushes into the bag. The relief was instantaneous the pain just disappeared. I won’t mention the very painful penis I now have from the 4 insertion attempts which pales into insignificance compared to having 4 pints in your bladder.

Now I was transferred to a ward for the night. I was allowed to go home the next day (Fathers Day I have had better) and have had a catheter in place since, hopefully coming out tomorrow.

Turns out when talking through with the Doctor I have an enlarged prostate which somehow has got an infection and had been slowly blocking my Urethra over a period of a few weeks. Did I not notice? asks the Doc that your urine flow had been reducing or perhaps you had to stand and think about peeing? Errr says I now I come to think about it yes that have been happening and I being a fit and healthy mountain biker just ignored it. Urinary problems are something that happens to old guys not guys in their 50’s. Well now I know different, it could happen to you and I urge you retro bikers if you sense a change in your peeing GET IT CHECKED because the pain is BAD BAD BAD BUT VERY PREVENTABLE.

As for my enlarged prostate, it’s fine and quite common in a lot of men. Off the bike for a few weeks but never mind just the fact I got through it makes up for that and as the wife pointed out I can get on with all those DIY jobs while I recover. Oh! Joy!

I feel much better now thanks and I am going back to Hosp tomorrow to hopefully have the catheter taken out, and then its just a matter of taking the antiboc's and waiting for the tenderness to clear up, and being aware if it returns (which I will be ) riding again as and when I think I am able.

Moe: Moe's Tavern.
bart: Is Mr Freely there?
Moe: Who?
bart: Freely. First initials, I.P
Moe: Hold on,I'll check (calls out) Is I.P Freely here? I.P Freely?

mattbrown":3vseomrd said:
Moe: Moe's Tavern.
bart: Is Mr Freely there?
Moe: Who?
bart: Freely. First initials, I.P
Moe: Hold on,I'll check (calls out) Is I.P Freely here? I.P Freely?

If only I could have!!!!!!

bloody hell!!

glad your on the mend and cheers for the heads up,most men just go to bed and sleep pains off,me especially :roll: . next time im not taking any chances.

Back