A Raleigh Olympus 5-speed renovation - FINISHED

Just a couple of nice pics after taking the Olympus for a spin yesterday. A little creaky, and a tad too small for me, but a nice ride.

Attachments

• Raleigh Olympus 1.jpg
    Raleigh Olympus 1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Raleigh Olympus 2.jpg
    Raleigh Olympus 2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,207
That looks terrific, bring back some memories. It is what it is, but still manages to look so attractive.

That looks terrific, bring back some memories. It is what it is, but still manages to look so attractive.

That's a total beauty. You should be very proud.

Although after all these years I've just realised that I had a Stratos rather than an Olympus.

Thanks for the approval. Probably spent about £220 renovating a bike that would be pushed to fetch £150 on eBay. Although, I've renovated a dozen or so bikes now, some worth up to £1,200 - but this little bog-standard, school racer with some heavy patina and slightly dodgy hubs has given me a lot of pleasure, and I've grown to quite like it.

Re:

I think the Olympus was my first bike - in that color too but can't really tell from this polaroid, the only image I have of it :-(

Attachments

• Olympus 2.png
    Olympus 2.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 922
Re:

You lost the original bars and stem along the way.

I'm still haunted by going over the handlebars and impaling myself on the stem enroute to slamming into the pavement.

Re: Re:

oaklec":2sxcpaq6 said:
You lost the original bars and stem along the way.

Yes, you're right, I had to replace the stem, it was past saving, and can't actually remember if I replaced the bars or not, come to think of it. Not going to lose any sleep over it though.

Back