A Raleigh Olympus 5-speed renovation - FINISHED

Nob":q3olpq68 said:
Not too sure about the rear calipers brake block nut......

I can remeber them like this... The old steel calipers were used over many of the Raleigh range of the time, cheap and cheerful.

Re:

You have done a great job- looks like a real labour of love.
My first new bike was an Olympus (red) and this thread brought back the memory of my elation at seeing it on my birthday; all ready to go. I loved that bike.

Thanks for posting this,

David

Was my first proper racer too, second hand but that didn't matter to me. Did many a mile on it, would think as many as any of my road bikes since. Didn't run mudguards.

We were talking about its Brooks saddle the other day, how it was out in all weathers and never really treated but was never ruined. We were also talking how rubbish the braking was especially in the wet. Remember riding towards a junction in the pouring rain and having to jump off in to a ditch as I just wasn't going to stop in time. Wasn't last minute braking either.

I sometime notice them turn up on ebay and am sort of tempted to get one, just because. Perhaps when I'm next bored, the first Di2 Olympus or something :LOL:

AllTheGearNoIdea":34k6rkrv said:
what groupset did it originally come with?

Don't remember much of it being marked, apart from the Brooks saddle and perhaps the rear mech? Think everything on it was steel. But it was a long time ago so might be talking rubbish!

The original spec was 5-speed Huret, steel drop bars and stem, steel callipers and chainset. A Wrights W3N saddle was fitted.

Perhaps the saddle varied then as they were certainly fitted with Brooks too, mine was and it's in the catalog.

Skynet":2rsq9r9w said:
Perhaps the saddle varied then as they were certainly fitted with Brooks too, mine was and it's in the catalog.

I don't doubt it for one minute. My 1976 example in red had a W3N, its the only part of the bike that has survived now on one of my Suns. :D

Yes, all the parts on the bike are just as they were when bought from Peter Hansford Cycle Shop in Southampton sometime in the 70s. I have replaced some bits, but they are like-for-like. The 5 speed svelto, the cranks, pedals etc are all correct copies of the kit originally on it.

Not a big fan of the colour scheme, the designer didn't have any love of complementary colours I don't think. But despite it being a bike I normally wouldn't look twice at, I'm quite pleased with how it looks after the work.

Back