A pair of scrapyard find frames

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Saved this pair of vintage roadie frames from my local scrapyard this morning. Not sure of model year Holdsworth Hurricane 58cm and a 1972 Cinzia Adorni 60cm. Both also yealded some nice Campagnolo parts which will help make one nice one out of the pair hopefully.
IMG_2461.jpeg IMG_2462.jpeg IMG_2463.jpeg IMG_2464.jpeg IMG_2465.jpeg IMG_2466.jpeg IMG_2467.jpeg IMG_2468.jpeg
Both stems are seized into the forks and the Cinzia has a stuck seatpost - so some work to do.
Will probably focus on the Holdsworth as it’s closest to my size.
I paid £30 the pair, happy with that.

The Cinzia has modern looks for a 72 frame - under BB gear cables, a short back end and remarkably short rake fork blades for the era. I'd bet it's quite a spritely ride. I was about to say that I thought the brakes a bit out of place until I found this example.
Yeh, looks an 80s frame with older kit
What is that simple rear mech design?

Time to get busy with the caustic soda then!

Yeh, looks an 80s frame with older kit
What is that simple rear mech design?
It's a Campag Valentino Extra. I thought it was a much older product (like 1960s) but Velobase design says early 1970s. Was part of the original equipment of the bike.
I know Cicli Cinzia from the budget bikes you see around Italian streets, most are of the sort of level you used to see in ToysRUs and the Grattan catalogue in the UK, don't think I've ever seen anything as decent as that. The company struggled since the 1990s, suffering in the same way as Raleigh and other UK manufacturers from the impact of cheap imports from the Far East and was eventually killed off by Covid, closing down at the end of 2020. There's a company web site that suggests that it may reappear but I suspect it'll be as a reseller rather than a manufacturer.

Last edited:
Mate I rode with in the 80s had a near identical Adorni, colour and everything. He'd bought it new, as a frame set only around 1985. Think his was Columbus Aelle

Thanks for all the feedback above, nice that others are interested. If anyone wants the Cinzia (frame/forks/stem) for the cost of postage - let me know. It’s too big for me and I probably won’t do much with it for a good while.
As mentioned the seatpost and stem are stuck..

Back