A new toy

M124

Dirt Disciple
Well technically an old toy.
So here's a build thread for my favorite hardcore hardtail.

A 2002 Twenty Four Bicycles Le Toy 3.

The frame is in pretty good condition (no cracks dents etc) but looks like it has been left outside and has a lot of raindrop patterned oxidisation so is going to need a good dose of elbow grease.

Here's where I am at after one day of rubbing it down with brillo pads.
IMG_20230908_171425.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great with monster T's, would have liked to have stuck some on mine but you don't see many nice sets that arnt silly money these days, how did it ride with them on?

Nice banshee btw

Yeah, I bought the 2003 Monster for £200 and I think I got the 2005 something close to £100. Crazy when you seen how much they go for now. I did actually sell the 2003 set for £800 last year. As much as I would have liked to keep them as a piece of art/history I couldn't resist that mark up.

I didn't actually end up using the Le Toy very much once I had finished it. The forks were the right length for it though. I end up using the parts for a Stab Dee Lux build that I didn't finish. All sold now

After many many hours of scrubbing sanding and polishing I think its about as good as I'm going to get it, far from perfect but getting rid of all of the small imperfections would require removing too much material. besides that its going to be ridden so wouldn't stay immaculate for long anyway.
Still waiting on a few bits to turn up but can finally start building it up tomorrow 🥳 24 letoy2.jpg

Build day 1
Because life would be too easy if everything just went right I will start with what hasn't gone to plan.

The decals
Rather than go with the standard gothic style decals I decided to go with some graffiti style ones that I could only find as a low res image on the internet (a pre production advert maybe?) they came out exactly as I wanted but due to miscommunication(my fault) I got them as a clear sticker and not as decals where the clear layer is removed, will change them once the bike needs re-polishing 24letoyebayPINK.jpg IMG_20231020_144103.jpg

Continuing the not quite to plan I bought some 24seven parts because I thought it would fit the look well.

The stem turned up this morning which looked great, but as soon as I saw it I realised it wasn't 31.8 as it was described on ebay, so I'm back to looking for a kore torsion direct mount stem (or maybe some 24seven pro bars) IMG_20231020_161724.jpg
and the 24seven nos chainring I bought also looks great but doesn't fit my on-one reet ard cranks so need to open up the 19mm centre hole to 22mm but that should be an easy fix
chainring.jpg

Beside the few small hurdles I'm loving the way its coming along, Haven't gone for all original and have a few slightly more modern parts fitted.
so far
fitted a black Chris King headset
Chris King iso hubs in pewter with hope enduro rims(thanks to @chodjinn) and hope 205mm floating rotor (rear will be swapped to match)
funn direct mount stem
2005 marzocchi 888s
970 xtr shifter
my go to dmr deathgrips on odub bars
Setlaz love seat clone
(Seatpost is off another bike, currently looking for a good 30.4 inline seatpost in black)
and the best seatclamp ever made, the 24 bicycles c*ckring. toy edit.jpg IMG_20231020_160701.jpg IMG_20231020_161241.jpg IMG_20231020_154940.jpg IMG_20231020_162001.jpg

Back