A cruisers delight: 1988 Panasonic Mountain Cat 4500

caemis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi there,

haven't posted a mountain bike build on here (or elsewhere) in quite a while but recent circumstances forced me away from my one geared daily riding towards a geared option at least for commuting and family touring. As I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of chosing a modern bike, getting a classic one was indeed the only sensible solution.

Scrolling through the local "kleinanzeigen" on the lookout for something nice and close by I stumbled over a Panasonic Mountain Cat - complete build with a period correct choice of an early Deore drivetrain and brakeset. Well, I fell in love immediately, and while the bike should have been sold to someone else it eventually found its way to me.

IMG_20230227_144515.jpg IMG_20230227_144520.jpg

Original Araya 7x tires with almost 30mm inner width as well as a pair of worn Panaracer Fattrax in 2.2 seemed a really
good foundation.

However, a few things are due to change, like obviously the tires, but as well the saddle and maybe the chainset...

Cheers

Last edited:
Very nice pick up :)

... yesterday I did the first commuting round with and without my kids trailer bike attachted. I had swapped tires - not a wise choise as the 2.3" Nokian tires are for some other style of riding but at least they look ace and without doubt underline the feeling of riding a tractor down the road. And I put a pair of black 732er cantis up front. Looking good so far and some new tires are on their way ...

IMG_20230302_103055_1.jpg IMG_20230302_103107.jpg

I guess except for saddle and grips there will be not so much changes, maybe reducing the front to a 1x gearing as the front derailleur doesn't work anyway.

And I was thinking of a more modern rack: the Tumbleweed T Rack

Not overly cheap but a more sturdy platform for my Carradice Longflap

Any ideas for a minimal front rack solution, using a similiar bag there as well?

Cheers

Last edited:
What a find! 😍 Looks to be great condition. If you have space do keep any of the period parts you remove safe so if you do pass it on, or want to revert it back to original condition, you don't kick yourself for binning stuff. I've been there and done that and still emotionally scarred decades on!!!

In todays mail:

IMG_20230307_160614_edit_174487563801498.jpg

and yesterdays Radavist

Allans-Rivendell-Hunqapillar-Dirt-Tourer-36.jpg

Thinking both together seems like a very good idea right now, while I'd tend to a shorter but higher stem...

… as I said, I tend to a shorter but higher stem. This morning I took some time to disassemble the Mountain Cat as far as I could. The BB and headset cups are stuck for the moment as I don't have the right tools or force to get them out.

IMG_20230330_082809.jpg
Before and after
IMG_20230330_084345.jpg

And after a little reassembling:

IMG_20230330_092019.jpg IMG_20230330_092036.jpg IMG_20230330_092418.jpg IMG_20230330_092535.jpg

The stem in question is a fillet brazed 0mm one, made in Vermont by Alex Meade and sold by analog cycles ...

This is probably the craziest build I have done so far but I'll go through with it.

Wider tires again and to keep it simple for this try a classic singlespeed setup.

Cheers

Hi there,

haven't posted a mountain bike build on here (or elsewhere) in quite a while but recent circumstances forced me away from my one geared daily riding towards a geared option at least for commuting and family touring. As I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of chosing a modern bike, getting a classic one was indeed the only sensible solution.

Scrolling through the local "kleinanzeigen" on the lookout for something nice and close by I stumbled over a Panasonic Mountain Cat - complete build with a period correct choice of an early Deore drivetrain and brakeset. Well, I fell in love immediately, and while the bike should have been sold to someone else it eventually found its way to me.

View attachment 715159View attachment 715160

Original Araya 7x tires with almost 30mm inner width as well as a pair of worn Panaracer Fattrax in 2.2 seemed a really
good foundation.

However, a few things are due to change, like obviously the tires, but as well the saddle and maybe the chainset...

Cheers

Lovely....great find.

Back