97 Marin Rift Zone. Well, some of one, anyway.

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Evening all,
Last Saturday, this came home with me:
IMAG0322_zpsshagclp8.jpg

Isn't she gorgeous? I originally had one back in the day ( around dec 96 ) and I was dumb enough to sell it around 2000. I've been after one for a while, and although they aren't exactly hen's teeth, I have two disadvantages, being: a) Skint, and b) a shortarse.
Okay, they don't go for massive money anyway, but current circumstances meant that "not massive" money would really have to be "nearly no money" until things improve/
Being a shortarse just meant I would have to be patient.
And Lo, did a 15 inch Boingy Marin Appear on the bay of E for fifty quid winning bid, and there was rejoicing in Chorlton.
After winning it, the seller decided to tell me that the fork was seized. ( Not that this would have stopped me bidding, but it would have been handy if this info had been on the listing, still, it seems churlish to wish it could have been cheaper as a result )

She has been comprehensively mucked about with:
Wheels are from a Dawes, with a nine speed cassette ( Dawes hubs, Rigida Sphynx rims, Continental traffic tyres ) Truvativ cranks, Titec Hellbent bar, Kona stem, Deore brakes, levers and shifters, LX rear mech. Spesh saddle. Joke pedals.
The frame, fork ( Manitou Mach 5 Pro C ) seatpost and shock are all original.
The shock, though never the best piece of kit still works fine, still damped and no leaks, so no complaints there. Bearings fine, no play or wag, and no sign of fatigue or cracking anywhere on the frame or swingarm. Most of the bolts are rusty though, and it had bought a couple of spiders back from St Albans with it. :shock:

First job was to get the Mach 5s moving. So I looked at the links to Manitou's manuals and it's NOT THERE! Cue weeping and gnashing of teeth: after all I may have to use my brain and improvise. So I looked at 4 other ones and figured that some of the parts must be common, and prepared myself. Here's what came out of the right leg:
IMAG0314_zpsvuhhmkft.jpg

The elsatomer / spring stack, not the South manchester Reporter.
So, much heaving, poking, and general farting about had both stacks and the damping cartridge removed or at least exposed. I still couldn't get the sliders off the stanchions though.
I appealed for help and Jon Tom came up with a brilliant idea: pour boiling water over the sliders: he said it worked for him after about five kettlefuls, and it's a fantastic way of doing it. I didn't see that solution until I tried mine:
*I* got a hammer.
I turned the fork upside down over a rag on the edge of my workbench, and rested the bridge on the rag, with the crown of the fork hanging over the edge, and using a piece of 1 1/4 dowel as a drift, very, VERY carefully tapped the crown until it started moving.
It worked! Stripped it all out, cleaned, regreased, reassembled, re filled cartridge and voila! Boingy fork, even the elastomers are fine. ( though if I can find a coil set for this fork, it's going to get one. )
The bike rides very nicely and over the next few months it'll be getting a few upgrades with the idea ofr moving closer to my old bike's spec. When I picked it up from the Bike Doctor it had a Bonty saddle and a pair of 636 spuds. Later it got a Planet X Azonic copy stem and an Answer DH bar.
Priorities:
Stem ( the Kona one on it is horrible, as well as too short, needs a 90mm ish one)
Wheels / Tyres( goodish ones)
Chainset ( Sugino White Industries branded one )
Brakes ( Avids)
Shiters.
Possibly an Air shock
But for now, the priority is to ride it. I'm off to Cardiff for a week or so tomorrow, and I'll be going to Afan.
Can't wait :D
Here are a few more pictures.

IMAG0321_zps0ef97pxs.jpg

IMAG0325_zpswmspfdxj.jpg

IMAG0327_zpssj8sl1lt.jpg

IMAG0324_zps6im8xzqm.jpg

IMAG0323_zpsp5fup8rv.jpg

Oh, and Dia Tech Aheadsets. Who the hell thought THEY were a good idea?

Thanks haggis, which one is it? I looked at that site and couldn't find what I thought was the right one. She was indeed a bargain. I went to the bike park in Afan yesterday with a couple of friends and tried her out. I haven't ridden tabletops and berms for about 17 years! I didn't get a lot of air but I did get a lot of fun and that bike rides just as well as I remember. I am going over it today and apart.from a loosening headset yesterday easily fixed on the trail, all I can find is a loose spoke on the rear wheel, also easily fixed. It's blinking brilliant.
I will be doing some upgrades, as detailed up top, but she is heaps of fun already.
I feel extremely happy at scoring her for just over fifty quid.
And now my friend wants one.
Haggis, if you see one at a good price I am sure you do.t need me to tell you to get one :)

Latest posts

Back