'97 Kona Cindercone hotrod - Now with paint and decals!

Is my build retro enough?

• Yes. Were nearly in 2010 ffs!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well its kinda retro modernised...

• NO

• Its somewhere in between mate but still very cool ;)

• Total voters
My bad didn't realise they made X317, I assumed XM317 rims (which have actual weight of ~440g)

If Anthony is correct though the frame may touch the 5lb mark with the disc tab on. (which is still a good weight for a low end of the range frame, and being an overall light bike will be stiff, comfy and nippy. :))

EDIT: were you having the Canti boses removed ?

oh and nice to see you got hold of a crown race for the headset :D

Hi

Yeah under 5lb should be good. Im keeping the bosses but have removed the stud's and drilled out the boss ready for an M10 thread. Many modern bikes have thee removable canti studs. I'll be running a pair of the Hope hose guides that screw in where you studs would be.

Im not sure Cindercones were 'low end' though. They were only one down from the Explosif and that was only preceeded by the Hei Hei.

Well the lowest steel frame was CinderCone/LavaDome (same frame)
next up we have the Kilauea/Explosif/Caldera frames then the Hot
(for 1997)

and a DB steel frame is typical of low end frame. Though we are talking different low end to your Argos, Tesco special.
More the Orange Clockwork (low-end) to the Prestige (high end).

mikesnowdon":1shh51ij said:
Frame arrived at Shandcycles in Scotland safely and I've had a little update of the work done so far.

Before:
picture1752.jpg

After
3990496001_ff9ed18627_b.jpg

Theres a couple more of these to do then the disk mount will be brazed on. Its getting a new lease of life!

He's got that dent repair pic on front page of his website now :cool:

Mr Panda":dsaidzk6 said:
He's got that dent repair pic on front page of his website now :cool:

Cool! Theres also a pic of my right had dropout! :LOL: He sent me the pic to illustrte that removing the rack mount wasn't a good idea. The hole sits inside the circumference of the dropout so removing the boss would weaken it, even if it was filled with brass. Also he tells me that removing the rack mounts on the seatstay isn't good for similar reasons.

At the moment I'm undecided about having the canti bosses removed, though as a newly formed weightweenie I'm considering doing that and both the seatstay and chainstay bridges too...

(I have even considered having the seat-tube trimmed to save a few more grams! :LOL:. Worse than that the thought crossed my mind that I could have the toptube & seat-tube replaced with nice light section's of 853!!!
spin.gif
, but that would cost a fair bit. Might as well get a new frame...)

Just drill holes in the tubes, quicker and easier also hack the seat tube down to the minimum needed to use the seatclamp.

FluffyChicken":2q4k44nc said:
Just drill holes in the tubes, quicker and easier also hack the seat tube down to the minimum needed to use the seatclamp.

Excellent - more vandalism :cool:

This is real Alf Tupper stuff......

http://www.toughofthetrack.net/index2.htm :cool:

Remember ( in the very dim and very distant past :roll: ) he drilled his bike frame to win a race, then went for a Fish Supper :twisted:

V Cool :LOL:

HeHeHe! :LOL: I dont think I'll be taking the drill to my frame just yet!

I will be keeping an eye out for a similar age and smaller Explosif frame though.

Back