'94 GT Tequesta

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Picked this up last weekend after spotting it on FB marketplace....

Couldn't resist - I restored a '90 GT Tequesta a few years back (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=302453) - I love the triple triangle frame arrangement and the quirky colour schemes on the bikes of this era.

Dating from 1994 I think, it has full STX groupset, Weinmann rims, GT flip-flop stem and GT bullhorn bars/and GT branded grips, Tioga Psycho tyres. Seems to be completely standard catalogue spec. Paint is the dark blue/black camouflage style.

cFg1Nhil.jpg

It's properly tired. Tyre sidewalls are perished through, seatpost was stuck solid, bottom bracket has huge amounts of play, chain is at 75% wear and it's generally very filthy......and there's a dent on the top tube. I bought it blind for a good price (thinking I could break it if the frame was really bad and make my money back)......but under the crud it's actually a really clean and honest bike.

viFfua8l.jpg
wt3dfEHl.jpg

YLuUPNtl.jpg
fTuwc1il.jpg

gJ9Lpiql.jpg
CLho4f4l.jpg

rdxG11il.jpg
nVHZpUVl.jpg

ig3t61dl.jpg
LBrdwQ2l.jpg

Plans - complete stripdown and deep clean. Fix bottom bracket, old stuck seatpost is out thanks to the hacksaw method (after freezing out didn't work), new tyres and chain and she'll be good to go. Hopefully gong to be able to repair the saddle too - want to keep it as original as I possibly can.

Finally started work on this. Stripped it down to bare frame, cleaned, stickers removed (except the Mint Sauce quote sticker - quite like that), paint corrected using Farecla G3 compound to remove scuffs/scratches, coat of AutoGlym Super resin polish and a top coat of Collinite wax. She properly gleams now in the sunlight! The frame is in really good shape, bar one dent on the top tube which is a shame......

Headset grease flushed out and inspected. Regreased and forks reassembled to frame.

gStvsG0l.jpg

k0i6WFVl.jpg

WieKLsEl.jpg

Looking forward to building this one back up.......

Re: Re:

pencilman77":20w2sf1h said:
Love this era of GT.......This will look cool :cool: :cool:

Yeah, me too....I love the crazy paint jobs of this era. The Tequilla sunrise Karakoram is the best IMO.

Bit more cleaning and reassembly. Wheels, hubs and cassettes thoroughly cleaned, hubs regreased.

Before:

nirbMool.jpg

After:

x0BefEhl.jpg

Wheels on - some Schwalbe slicks temporarily and replacement bottom bracket fitted.....

6xpejojl.jpg

Back