93 Saracen Traverse update page 3

hi ben. sorry, forgor to get back to you. head tube is 130mm long.

just measured the stem again and it is indeed 130mm

you have good eyes

took the traverse to the lincoln ride at the weekend. it was the first ride i'd done on it and to be honest i forund it to ride fairly well.

there were only a couple of moments where i wished i'd had some suspension - rigid forks are certainly more rigid than i remember!

brakes were ok but chrisv40 and fluffychicken have offered advice so i should be able to get a bit more power out of they, particularly when i fit the straddle hangers gifted from lord fromage.

speaking of whom, i have today fitted a borrowed stem. i found the bike a little too low and long so lgf has lent me a selection of stems. i have fitted a shorter tioga t bone with a fair old rise. a quick scoot up the street and it feels good already. going for a prepper ride on it tonight so will report back.

only bother isif it feels right, it looks wrong. would a lesser rise stem but riser bars be easier on the eye?

5vszdk.jpg

No leave it as is and see if it works.

Mine must have felt long for you then.

Anyways, a quick scan, resize and here you go
A readable version, just got to remember how to stop it adding that watermark.
Hope to get the rest scanned in soon.

Saracen%201993%20002%20150dpi.jpg

lewis1641":k5iafdki said:
only bother isif it feels right, it looks wrong. would a lesser rise stem but riser bars be easier on the eye?

IMO, retro bikes with risers dont look right, so I'd stick with a higher rise stem and flat bars.

cheers for the scan ben. your bike didnt feel too long to me, in fact it felt fantastic. i think the sweep of the bar helps a lot. what length and rise is your stem?

jo(h?)n - i think i agree

took it out for 15 miles on the new stem last night and it was a lot more comfortable but really not keen on the looks.

i still have 2 others to try. one is slightly lower and shorter, one is slightly lower but same length.

really like this bike :LOL:

bit of an update.

you may recall the point of this is a pocket money build - what would i have done to it when i was 13 (in 93)

LGF donated a pair of black anno straddle hangers which suite the bike perfectly.

the flite saddle is a bit too posh so i have replaced it with my childhood favourite - selle italia expedia. light and comfortable.

next i needed some period pedals. i decided ritchey logics would fit the bill perfectly and they work with my shimano cleats.

i have also removed the bar ends but i did miss them on yeaterdays ride so i might refit them.

next job is to replace the original ritchey truegrips with some ritchey foam jobbies. i just find the rubber ones uncomfortable. they will be kept for the future though.

i am also eventually going to put some suspension on it. it is killing shoulders and neck.not sure what to go for. want something that would have been cheap back in the day. possibly tange struts??

anyway, this is what it looks like now

i71s89.jpg

Not sure if it fits in with the pocket money project but I'd love to see some maguras on it.

Really is a fine looking bike and like what you've done so far fella.

Back