93 Klein Rascal

Thanks 👍 😁
I haven't actually ridden it yet, needs new brake pads and the bb is a: too long for the crankset and b: bearings are as rough as a badgers arse, once I get those sorted I'll see what I think, might have to swap the MC1 it's a touch long but we'll see.

Thanks 👍 😁
I haven't actually ridden it yet, needs new brake pads and the bb is a: too long for the crankset and b: bearings are as rough as a badgers arse, once I get those sorted I'll see what I think, might have to swap the MC1 it's a touch long but we'll see.
BB axle probably right for m 730 crankset. Bike looks luscious and ready for anything.

I love it. A shorter stem and you are set.
BB axle probably right for m 730 crankset. Bike looks luscious and ready for anything.
Thanks :) I'll try it like this, it's definitely longer than anything else I own but it's rideable. I'll then try something around 90-100mm which I think will be about right, quite keen to keep an MC1 though so will be on the lookout for a 90mm one with rise and a noodle. I suspect my wallet's not going to like that but I can sell this to offset it.
Yeah, the axle is 122mm so bang on for m730, I had to fight the temptation to rip the m735 off my Bonty Race, I have an m900 group I could fit to that instead but I can't, that bike is perfect. I also quite like the idea of the Exage on this, Kleins are usually blinged out or full XT so it's cool to do something a bit different.

Thanks :) I'll try it like this, it's definitely longer than anything else I own but it's rideable. I'll then try something around 90-100mm which I think will be about right, quite keen to keep an MC1 though so will be on the lookout for a 90mm one with rise and a noodle. I suspect my wallet's not going to like that but I can sell this to offset it.
Yeah, the axle is 122mm so bang on for m730, I had to fight the temptation to rip the m735 off my Bonty Race, I have an m900 group I could fit to that instead but I can't, that bike is perfect. I also quite like the idea of the Exage on this, Kleins are usually blinged out or full XT so it's cool to do something a bit different.
m900 BB is 107mm. A m730 crankset used to be dirt cheap when used. Dont know how it is these days. That bike deserves a full m732/3/5 build.

Yeah, I have a un91 in 107mm for my m900 crank, obviously won't go in this but will fit the Bonty hence thinking of swapping it around.
M730/2/5 isn't as cheap in good condition as it used to be unfortunately, aside from the frame/fork/stem I have spent nothing on this yet, all stuff that was laying about. That will change with the BB.

I have just discovered that the rear brake cable stop and exit hole have been drilled through, presumably to allow fitting of V-brakes, this has scuppered my build plan. ☹️
I'm sure I could make it work somehow, but seeing as it's already been drilled and it's not me doing the butchering, I think I will fit some Maguras and Judys and see where it goes from there.
That's very odd, when I was riding it (only briefly) it had champagne XC Pro canti's on it and they were spot on

That's very odd, when I was riding it (only briefly) it had champagne XC Pro canti's on it and they were spot on
It's Ok Mike, the first ferrule I tried on the brake cable pulled straight through the stop but I found a stepped plastic one that seems solid so all good, also this gives me brake options in the future, I'd never dare drill it myself but as it's already done I can take advantage of that if I want down the line. With a bit of thought it's not a negative thing! :)
Hope your recovery is going well.

Back