93 Klein Rascal

How so? You can have two identically sized frames in every way apart from one has a 71º head angle and a 37mm offset fork and the other a 67º head angle with a 44mm offset fork, the front centre will be a fair bit longer on the second frame but It's still the same size, it'll completely change the handling but still the same size.

How so? You can have two identically sized frames in every way apart from one has a 71º head angle and a 37mm offset fork and the other a 67º head angle with a 44mm offset fork, the front centre will be a fair bit longer on the second frame but It's still the same size, it'll completely change the handling but still the same size.
Medium mtbs during the 90s had 41.5in wheelbases w/ few exceptions. Short ones were 41in. extra small 40 or 40.5in. No? Maybe i am wrong.

Anyway... the wheelbase will tell which size is it on the Klein sizing chart.

You're probably right, but geometry has a lot more to it than just taking one number in isolation and quite frankly can be fecking confusing. Add suspension for example and that front centre is constantly changing whilst riding.
This bike is big (for me, compared to my others, apart from my modern 29er which is massive by comparison although It's only a 16" frame) I'll use stem length and saddle position to get the seated pedaling position to my liking, then I have the joy of discovering what it rides like, I'll either like it or not, It's part of the fun!

Which the top tube length corresponds with in the chart above, just the seat tube is 5 cm shorter than it should be, I can see why it was thought to be an 18". No matter, I shall build it and try it, if I can't make it work I shall sell it on, if I like the gist of it but not the size then maybe try to swap for a smaller one. We'll see.

I have just discovered that the rear brake cable stop and exit hole have been drilled through, presumably to allow fitting of V-brakes, this has scuppered my build plan. ☹️
I'm sure I could make it work somehow, but seeing as it's already been drilled and it's not me doing the butchering, I think I will fit some Maguras and Judys and see where it goes from there.

Back