90's STEEL MTB for UNSUPPORTED W. AFRICA TOUR

Re: Re:

kaiser":220g5ib0 said:
That Marin is very nice. If I could make a recommendation I'd have a try for size and comfort. The Oranges will have a more racier heads down arse up position whereas if the Marin fitted it would be comfortable for many many miles.

That's what I was thinking, the position is perfect for touring with that stem and original rider bars :)

That does look very nice. How much would it be minus saddle, pedals, and tyres? I've got a decent pair of pedals and a nice Brookes to pop on it anyway. As for tyres I want something a bit less off-road anyhow. I'll probably fit some Marathon+.

kingrw":29a6usrc said:
That does look very nice. How much would it be minus saddle, pedals, and tyres? I've got a decent pair of pedals and a nice Brookes to pop on it anyway. As for tyres I want something a bit less off-road anyhow. I'll probably fit some Marathon+.

I'd knock a chunky £100 off. As mentioned the Marin will give a less racy ride. Horses for courses. Your welcome to either buddy :)

Minifreak":3i799usu said:
kingrw":3i799usu said:

I'd knock a chunky £100 off. As mentioned the Marin will give a less racy ride. Horses for courses. Your welcome to either buddy :)

That's very tempting!
I'm not going to say yes right now because you're quite a way off from Sheffield. I'm going to have a word with a local bikeshop first and see what I might turn up locally in the near future. There's a good chance I'll be back in touch for one of those bikes, though.

Drop me a PM whenever you like if either are what your after.

kingrw":18227dft said:
Minifreak":18227dft said:
kingrw":18227dft said:

That's very tempting!
I'm not going to say yes right now because you're quite a way off from Sheffield. I'm going to have a word with a local bikeshop first and see what I might turn up locally in the near future. There's a good chance I'll be back in touch for one of those bikes, though.

Re:

Late to the party, but I might be tempted to sell this 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade (Deore LX/DX/XT)

I bought it as a donor bike, but it's nearly all original so seems a bit of a shame to split! I've already done around 40 miles or so on it and it rides very well - the first 25 were literally after collection with the cobwebs still attached. It's around 20" size wise and it fits me well - I'm around 6' on a good day.

Back story is that I acquired it from the original owner, who gave the bike to a friend who then returned it to him 10 years or so later, when he could no longer ride it (although it was shed stored more than anything else). The paint is already a little faded from storage, so it will be happy in the African sun ;)

For £150 I'll strip the bike down, clean all the drivetrain (including new gear cables as they're a bit sticky) and find a way to get it up to Sheffield, unless you fancy a trip to the Smoke to have a look beforehand. The pedals are shot so you may need to add a set, but that's all. The picture below is just after the initial pickup and ride :)

Attachments

• eldridge.jpg
    eldridge.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 457
Now then, is this still going? If so, any chance you'd knock a little more off if I took it minus the wheels as well... I've decided I really need to build some custom wheels to take the load and the gravel roads.

Minifreak":1nu8ejgw said:
kingrw":1nu8ejgw said:

Back