90's STEEL MTB for UNSUPPORTED W. AFRICA TOUR

kingrw

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone.

As stated above, I've got a wee jaunt in Africa planned for January-March next year - Dakar to Lagos. I've done a few tours previously, but they've all been in Europe and so I've taken my mid-90's Dawes Galaxy along. Unfortunately, it won't be up to this trip due to having 700c wheels.

So what I'm after now is a mechanically simple (no disc brakes, or anything else which will be difficult to fix on the road or in local bike shops), steel (for a local welder to fix if I have a bad crash... I've ridden a bike when the chainstay has snapped, so this is a serious consideration), 18-20 inch (I'm 5'11"), 26 inch wheel (again so that I can get spares if anything happens), go anywhere, do anything steed. It also needs to have braze-ons for fitting a rear rack, and in a dream world it would have three points to fit bottle racks, and the possibility of fitting a rack to the front forks as well (but if it doesn't I'll use some old inner tubes and a few cable ties) ----- So, like I said in the subject, basically, I'm after a 1990's mountain bike.

This is going to be (as it always is for me) a super-low-cost-budget tour. I'm training as a nurse, so I don't have many spare pennies, but luckily I do have a couple of spare months. So my bike budget is about £100, an absolute maximum of £150 if I can get something that is running smooth and needs no work.

If you've got something suitable, let me know. I live in Sheffield, but can travel to nearby towns to take a look/pick-up. It'd be lovely to have something with a bit of pedigree, or something that comes with some good stories, but what's most important is that it runs well and that it'll do me in the region of 4000 kilometres with all my gear. And who knows, I might even take it out in the Peak when I return and find out how much more skilled mountain bikers were 20 years ago!

I've got an 18" Univega MTB frame and forks on here. Would suit your needs. It's for 26" wheels. You can build it up how you want then rather than taking what gets offered on a complete bike.

Attachments

• DSCN1248 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1248 (Small).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 647
I'm looking for a complete bike really. I've built up a tourer in the past and I ended up spending more money and time doing it than expected/intended/desired.

Any good?

Was selling as a project but it's rideable and I can give it a full service first if you wanted.

How much are you looking for it? And could you tell me the components in the drivetrain and the brakes, please?

kingrw":1pnb7055 said:
How much are you looking for it? And could you tell me the components in the drivetrain and the brakes, please?

It's running reliable Shimano Exage trail gears, very little wear to cassette, chain or chainrings. I have a spare large and middle ring I'll chuck in for free. Shifters are thumbies so nothingto go wrong. Shimano Exage canti at the front and powerful rear U brake. I have new Clarks pads to go on.

Price was £150 posted as is, but as your taking it on an adventure I will strip it totally and service all bearings and change the cables to ensure its in tip top mechanical order for the same price :)

I can swap the tyres out for some more modern black walls if wanted too.

I hope we'll get a travel thread with pics.

Okay, cheers. That sounds pretty good, but I've seen a few Orange P7/C16Rs and similar coming up with Deore XT/LX drivetrains that are in good nick for a similar price, so I'll wait and see what else comes up, but might come back to you later on.

No worries, I do have a recently restored 1993 Kona Lava Dome in 18" running LX with DX thumbies. Chain, cassette and brake pads were new. Would be £250 as is but could do a better deal if I swapped the pedals, tyres and saddles out for other good quality parts.

Re:

That Marin is very nice. If I could make a recommendation I'd have a try for size and comfort. The Oranges will have a more racier heads down arse up position whereas if the Marin fitted it would be comfortable for many many miles.

Back