'88-'89 Explosif

Re:

Forgot all about this thread, guess it wasn't all that eternal after all (please see current Kona wanted thread ;) )

I admittedly did a double take when I saw the photo of the Hot you posted Al, at a glance the frame is almost identical to the one I bought about two and a half years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Kona-Hot-S ... noapp=true (Unfortunately pics have been removed)

Agree with you both, if I'm buying a frame from from the States it better be tip top. I'll pay top dollar/shipping fees/import tax (begudgingly) but the dent in the seat tube would be a deal breaker for me.

Did this sell in the end? For the asking price? I would have thought it was priced high, but hey, if they go for that now I'm not complaining :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Kona's - the eternal wanted thread!

I have a 91 Joe Murray Kona explosif, 17.5 " frame in the famous fade green (kermit the frog)
nice Tange prestige concept tube set
Cool retro wheels, all original parts, frame in good shape with usual paint scratches, syncros stem
Can bring it from Canada to London heathrow near end of April, shipping as checked baggage is 40 GBP, bike would be 280 GBP

Attachments

• 91 Kona.jpg
    91 Kona.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 440
Re: TET custom Hot

I have owned a Kona Hot for years and recently decided to try to restore it to its former glory. The problem I'm running in to is lack of info. I wou,d love to know the year and original component group hope maybe someone will help. Here is what I know it a Kona Custom Hot serial number TET 1086.
I posted some pictures any help is appreciated thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 410
Re:

Very nice little Teesdale Hot :cool: At a glance I would say '92-'93. Could be narrowed down further with measurements of the seat tube and head tube

Regarding the original build I'd say only the original owner would be able to tell you that as they were custom built. Building it up with parts available at the time is as close as you can get I reckon.

Here you have the appropriate catalogues to see what they were using at the time:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... ogue+1992/

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... ogue+1993/

Is the downtube splined? (difficult to see in the pic)

Coquitlam Geoff":2x93xe38 said:
I have a 91 Joe Murray Kona explosif, 17.5 " frame in the famous fade green (kermit the frog)
nice Tange prestige concept tube set
Cool retro wheels, all original parts, frame in good shape with usual paint scratches, syncros stem
Can bring it from Canada to London heathrow near end of April, shipping as checked baggage is 40 GBP, bike would be 280 GBP

Very nice! (Love that green :cool: )

Too small for me unfortunately but GLWTS

Those links you posted are great! I haven't seen those. 92 does look about right. Thanks for the assistance. Now to scour ebay.

Re: Kona's - the wanted thread!

Only rub is that the sticker group matches up with 97. My understanding was that Teesdale only built them from 90-95.

Pretty sure I can see the splined down tube on the photo that shows the TET number. The decals will be all wrong - it's going to be a 92/93 I'd agree with Canuck.

If I were you I'd start your own thread in the 'readers mtb' section and you should get a few more replies - this thread's been running for eons and everyone knows what Scott is after so no-one checks in unless they have a lead for him ;)

Now this has been revived,

I am looking for a Kona U'HU, King Kikapu, Sex One 1996 to 1998 range.

I have a King Kikapu that has suffered cracked rear seat stay at the pivots so I am looking for a replacement rear end but happy to purchase the whole frame.

Will need shipping to Australia which I can happily arrange.

Back