'87 Raliegh Maverick Pro 531 Ilkeston SBDU GVOD

Re:

Scotchbrite is supposed to do the trick pretty well. By "pretty well", I mean "open the door to a world of polishing pain."

Smashing bike by the way. :D

Re:

So what's the difference between one of those and an 87 Avanti (he lazily asks without trying to figure it out himself)?

Re:

I have the same issue with the spokes on my Diamondback. Are you going to clean them? If so how? I was thinking a vinegar/lemon juice bath followed by a good tin foil scrubbing. I'm not a fan of the acid bath - too many kids running around to play with that stuff for my taste.

If the rims and hubs are good, I'd remove the crummy galvanized spokes, measure them and re-build the wheels with decent stainless spokes. Thereafter, a quick clean and the occasional wipe with a rag and the spokes will look as good as new for several decades.

Looks like a great find, with plenty of work to do. I will be watching the outcome of your spoke issue with interest as I have the same problem on some very similar wheels. Swapping for stainless would be a perfect cure, except that original parts always seem to have a nicer 'feel' to them for me...

Re: Re:

jaypee":1iwfbtcm said:
So what's the difference between one of those and an 87 Avanti (he lazily asks without trying to figure it out himself)?

look up 'Raleigh SBDU' - it gives you an idea of what was behind the people who came up with the frame. If this had been an Orange, there would be pages and pages of 'ooh looky' but as its only a knackered old Raleigh...

Anyway, theres not many who can say their frame was built by a guy called Preston Dickman.

http://www.cyclingworldmag.com/bicycles-of-fire/

Re:

Should be a good test for your bb removal thread/technique.

Love the understated colour.

Nice find.

Wheels will be totally rebuilt, no point in trying to preserve a bunch of rusty spokes.

I was thinking red TI Raleigh colours to celebrate its SBDU status. Easily replicated once I get all that crud off.

In the road pages there would be a lot more ohh's and Ahh's as the SBDU bikes are sought after and obviously quite rare. Over here though they aren't so trendy so don't have the following that the (mostly) American brands have. That said there are a few over here (me included) that do appreciate them and you can get a few pages of action in a Raleigh thread (think my 531 Team Rep runs to 6 or 7 pages now). There are some great Raleighs on here, Mine (although I am biased), GM's, Colemans and MADB's Avanti's, Dynacols box fresh Appalachian and a couple of good condition Chinooks which all built at the Lightweight unit in Nottingham follow on the spiritual path set by this which is like the granddad of them all.
I suggest a Team Banana colour scheme which was available when it was new.

Carl.

Thought I'd better chip in rather than lurk on this one. I love all things raleigh. Grew up with them. This has the potential to be a lovely important bike. Wish it was mine. (I have SBDU road called Gerald) a pair in matching colours would be sweet. What size is it?

You'll get bored soon. Dibs :mrgreen:

imagejpg11_zps8c1972de.jpg

Back