'87 Raliegh Maverick Pro 531 Ilkeston SBDU GVOD

garethrl":1ibta24n said:
I can't believe I missed this thread at the time! I collected what must be this frame's twin brother just a week after LGF got his.

SB7919 in 531ATT tubing and the same colour scheme though with a bit less patina. As things stand I'm not planning a respray, though that may change after I've cleaned the frame up a bit - and after we see how LGF's comes out.

It came fitted with a Tange headset and Shimano BB and I've got a period correct Japanese lash-up build in mind. I'm still waiting for a suitable Sugino crank, either an AT (because I like the look) or a Super Maxy (as it's a copy of the TA/Stronglight models that so many early British mtbs came with). Beyond that, a mix of Dia Compe, Suntour, Sakae, Shimano and MKS.

I had to put it in temporary storage immediately after collection, so I can't add pics of my own here yet. Here's a link to a few that the previous owner took:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/lgvcqhcp88c87bc/DZ_RV1oI8B

I'll be following this thread with interest!

Cheers,
Gareth.

Did you get it on eBay (with an off eBay offer).
I was following an auction and was going to bid but the auction was stopped early and when I contacted the seller he said it had gone. :cry:
That's why I put up the wanted ad.
If you are doing a period restoration it will be interesting to compare it with mine.
Currently I have other plans, I might be able to dismay both the mountain bike and road fraternity at the same time. :LOL:

Colin.

Re:

Hi Colin,
It probably was the one, I must admin. I found out about the frame via the Team Pros yahoo group, earlier in the year around Feb/Mar. As it's an SB frame he posted it there to get a bit more info, but the response was underwhelming. Only myself and Hilary Stone bothered replying, but I discussed the frame history etc with him a bit offline by email and we agreed a sale.

Then I fell off the face of the earth for a bit with work deadlines and I gather he listed it on ebay. I got back in touch with him just in time, when I was heading to visit family one weekend and could call in and collect, if the original deal was still an option. Fortunately for me (and less so for you) it still was, hence the vanishing act.

So I'm sorry about pulling the rug from under you, but the agreement to sell to me was in place before it was listed so hopefully that makes it bit less underhand, if possible? And in the meantime you've managed to acquire another one - it's truly remarkable that two came up at the same time despite so few MTB frames ever being built at Ilkeston.

I'll also be bothering the roadies a bit more from time to time. I have four SBDU frame in my possession now with more or less concrete plans for all. For this one, it will be period-correct Japanese touring/ATB components, but with most manufacturers showing up somewhere. Certainly not a single groupset. Time is the issue, as ever, though ...

Cheers,
Gareth.

MADB":1idjkxun said:
How did you get the stem out?
Answer = Caustic Soda

Don't mix it with anything else because the gas is flammable, there was a story recently of an old guy who blew the windows out of his house when he mixed Cillit Bang with Caustic Soda.

The picture shows the cut off stem and my contraption using a pop bottle, the middle picture shows the exposed section of stem after about 10 minutes in the mixture, overall it took about 2 hours because the stem inside the steerer could only be attacked from one side and it was really stuck.

Must be a steel frame or fork, obviously an aluminium frame will dissolve.

Attachments

• StemRemoval.jpg
    StemRemoval.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 338
Re:

there was a story recently of an old guy who blew the windows out of his house when he mixed Cillit Bang with Caustic Soda.

On the other hand, a gin and tonic just doesn't have quite the same kick. :p

Back