86 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer

Matt-k

GT Fan
Picked this one up earlier in the year, I won't call it a build thread as its mostly complete with only a few parts needed so it's more of a refresh really! The bike needed a good clean and degrease but once done the frame looked in great condition with no cracks or dents which was a relief as I hadn't actually viewed the bike in person before buying!
The paints not perfect with some chain rub and a fair few smaller chips but not bad at all for an 86 so I've decided to leave it alone and keep it original.
It came fitted with some nasty modern pedals and seatpost which I removed immediately as they hurt my eyes!

DSC_7121.JPG DSC_7119.JPG DSC_7198.JPG DSC_7420.JPG DSC_7206.JPG DSC_7207.JPG DSC_7212.JPG DSC_7205.JPG

Last edited:
So since I took the above photos lots & lots of scrubbing & polishing ensued and its still not finished although my hands tell me NO MORE it's DONE! Although that could be the Mrs I've been neglecting, apparently I give this more attention 🙄
I've never been a fan of elliptical chainrings so planed to remove these, polish the arms and fit new chainrings. BUT thanks to Tootyred I didn't have to as he listed for sale the correct XT 730 Chainset fully polished and ready to fit! I'll take that thank you very much! 👍😁 I also managed to pick up some correct XT pedals off here and a pair of Panaracer Duster Pro's which look way better than those awful Continental's it came with! DSC_7497.JPG DSC_7493.JPG DSC_7504~2.JPG DSC_7491.JPG DSC_7389.JPG DSC_7486.JPG

I managed to grab a nice fluted seatpost of eBay dug out a Velo Jet Titanium saddle I knew I had somewhere in the garage & some new foam Grab On grips arrived in the post. With that she was about finished so I it was only right I took it out for a quick ride to the lake! DSC_7586.JPG DSC_7599.JPG DSC_7590.JPG DSC_7602.JPG DSC_7604.JPG DSC_7603.JPG DSC_7609.JPG DSC_7601.JPG DSC_7608~3.JPG DSC_7605.JPG

Last edited:
NOw that´s wonderfull. True vintage royalty here. I would vote for that whatever contest you guys throw in...
Ha Ha, now that is a statement! 😁 Maybe I'll throw it in this month's BOTM! However I've already seen some very smart entries and don't fancy my chances but hey you need losers to make a winner, vote for me I'll end the war in Ukraine & lower fuel prices!
Seriously though, thanks for all the positive responses I really didn't expect so many likes for an old Goat. 👍

Back