853 Weight?

Re: Re:

Merlin":36dwpml2 said:
TIG welding is the least attractive way of joining the tubes in my opinion although it is strong and light. Some builders weld the tubes then braze a fillet over the weld. The fillet can be smaller and lighter as the strength is in the weld but the join appears smoothly blended.

I have a TIG-welded cross frame (Columbus Foco) which is incredibly neatly done compared to my road bike (853) - I guess a lot of filing and burnishing must have been done before it was primed and painted. Still lacks the "fluid" look of fillet brazing though.

David

most 853 frames are in the 1800g range. Some maybe a bit lighter some a bit heavier. I don't think 1500g is atainable.

Re:

I have a 2004 55cm Lemond Zurich Reynolds 853 pro.. The bare frame set minus fork weighs 1750 grams. It's tig welded so would be considerably lighter than a lugged and brazed frame..

Frame, forks, headset, boss screws and seatpin weigh in at 2.735kgs on my Graham Weigh 853
GW2-1.jpg

Complete bike comes in at 8.6k as it stands
GW2.jpg

Re:

My 2013 Bob Jackson 853 with oversize tubes, 1 1/8th headtube, lugs and cast bottom bracket weighs 2.1kg for just the frame:

13185250905_bcaaefddb4_b.jpg

All up weight for the bike is about 8.2kg

For reference, my "big 56" Ribble 653 record frame weighs 1800g with a quality flamboyant paint job. Forks 640g

FWIW and IIRC my Raleigh 853 (custom build, non-standard tubeset) was just shy of 1700g after it's last repaint (it's quite intricate paint work, and fairly thick too!). It's about a 51/52 cm frame, so quite small........ Probably why they weren't too bothered about using lighter/different tubes to standard.

Back