Anyone running TPU inner tubes yet?

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Example:

I am tempted. However, some people say that these make comfort worse, while others say they improve comfort?!

Comfort is my priority on a road bike with drops, although the weight saving would be welcome too.

Has anyone got any real-world experience on how these affect comfort and handling?

Cheers.

Example:

I am tempted. However, some people say that these make comfort worse, while others say they improve comfort?!

Comfort is my priority on a road bike with drops, although the weight saving would be welcome too.

Has anyone got any real-world experience on how these affect comfort and handling?

Cheers.

can I interest you in some snake oil?
1711018709408.png

Really?!

Saving 100+ grams from the rolling weight of each wheel...I think a lot of people rate them for that alone.

Snake oil comment seems a bit......knee-jerk?

I've used quite a few thermoplastic tubes. Mostly schwalbe aerothan.
They are indeed 100g lighter than butyl, and £15 more.

That was the weight difference between the 105 and ultegra chainset, which was £125 more(and let's just ignore that the ultegra cranks broke apart and eventually led to a recall)

Light wheels... Nice, especially at speed.
Lower fiction within the tyre - we all felt we could feel it.
Fixable... sometimes.
Fewer punctures? Once I had had more punctures than in my previous 50 years cycling, I returned to butyl☹

I might stick them in if I was racing.
It's a lot lighter and nicer feeling than tubeless too.

But butyl tubes still win out on usability.

I've not tried them yet, but ordered some the other day since I was ordering other stuff on aliexpress. The Ridenow ones are hardly any more expensive than a decent butyl tube at the LBS (I know they can be had for less but I like to buy bits and bobs like that from my LBS when I can). The weight might be noticeable or not, but it's the small size when folded that is a big plus point. So, I'm still not convinced but at lighter weight and smaller size for the same cost, on paper there aren't any disadvantages.

Really?!

Saving 100+ grams from the rolling weight of each wheel...I think a lot of people rate them for that alone.

Snake oil comment seems a bit......knee-jerk?
ran them for 6 months, found I was better running a lighter carcass than a lighter inner tube. so that's the weight saving out the window.

comfort, zero (I mean zero) difference, again a better tyre made more difference than anything else.

punctures, yes, I always carry an inner tube with me, got annoyed with swapping them over once fixed only to puncture again 2 weeks later and put the "heavier" inner tube back in.

saving 100 grams from the edge of the wheel, it isn't going to make it feel like a rocket ship. again, better tyres are more likely to make a difference, you really want to save some weight, ditch the deep section rim and go with a good old fashioned single skin rim, it'll save you way more than a 100 grams.

knee jerk reaction? no, no it really wasn't.

Thanks @novocaine - apologies, no offence intended & your 'full' reply provides much more of an insight to someone who knows nothing about these.

Judging by the puncture issues it seems you've all encountered, don't think I'll bother. Possibly in future may get hold of one to keep in the saddlebag as a lightweight spare.

I've just bought some, awaiting delivery. They'll go on the party wheels with GP5000 tyres for summer. The other 8 months will be Michelin Pro4 Endurance and the beater wheels.
I'll report back when the roads are dry and clean enough...and when the hideous potholes are patched.

have some on my Brompton and they are a nightmare for practicality. The valve seals went on two and they don’t hold air as well as butyl in my experience. Quite a lot more punctures - and I never get punctures 🙏. I even switched to QRs on the bike as I was changing them so often. Now back to butyl.

Feel like a race/ weight item - rotating mass takes a lot more energy to accelerate - especially as distance from the axle gets greater, so it’s the right place to save weight vs dynamically static weight.That said - tubeless is probably a better option? I say this as someone that hates tubeless.

Back